Sabayon 3.5 - Can't burn DVDs with K3B

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 3.5 - Can't burn DVDs with K3B

Postby buzzman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:26

I've recently upgraged from Saybayon 3.4 to 3.5, using the x86 version. I have an external Sony DVD-R connected to the computer via USB. Under 3.4, I was able to burn CDs and DVDs without problem. With a fresh install of 3.5 I am no longer able to burn DVDs. The drive works when I read files or burn CDs, but when I put a burnable DVD into the drive and open K3B, the DVD-R drive becomes unmounted and only becomes visible again when I unplug and reconnect the drive.

I have looked on the Sabayon and Gentoo Forums, and I have Googled the problem, but I have yet to find the answer to my problem. I have checked that the user is part of the cdr and cdrom group. I have also created a "burning" group and added the user to that group (saw this mentioned on a post) but to no avail. I also tried rebuilding K3B with the "kde" flag set so as to compile the "k3b-setup" program, but was unable to create "k3b-setup."

If anyone has a suggestion as to how to fix this problem or know where to look for an answer I would greatly appreciate it. This is my first post, so I apologize in advace if I have not included some vital information.
buzzman
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 3.5 - Can't burn DVDs with K3B

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jul 28, 2008 15:33

Did you eventually find a solution for this? Have you got the latest version of K3B installed? Do you get any strange messages regarding USB if you run the dmesg command (try "dmesg | grep usb", for example)?

I'm probably way off the mark, but reading the Ubuntu forum threads, blogs and other forum threads scattered across the Internet regarding a Foxconn BIOS issue (SL thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14271 refers), I happened to notice one person commenting that if they turned ACPI off their DVD drive started to work:

BEGIN QUOTE
But brings up another point, I set up a Lenovo laptop for a lady, but there is obviously a BIOS issue. One of two things happen, either it ignores the CD/DVD hardware or It won't suspend resume.

The two are mutually exculsive. I can enable ACPI, and I get suspend resume, but the OS in unable to see the CD/DVD harware, it's as if it doesn't exist. Or I can turn ACPI off, I get no suspend resume, and in fact I get no auto poweroff either, but the OS can see the CD /DVD hardware, and it mounts a CD or DVD fine. This has got to Faulty BIOS. The question this article raises for me is "is this deliberate?"
END QUOTE

Now, I expect the optical drive in the lady's Lenovo laptop is ATA, ATAPI or whatever, i.e. not USB, but it might still be worth you trying to turn ACPI off to see what happens.

The internal optical drive on my Acer laptop appears to be USB-connected (diagnostics under Linux and Windows XP report it as a USB drive, and it runs slower than I would expect for an ATA or ATAPI device), so the following text from another Web site entitled "Various notes about Acer Travelmate 3004WTMi with Linux" (different model to mine) may also be apposite:

BEGIN QUOTE
Boot with “pci=noacpi” or even “acpi=off”. You won’t have ACPI power saving, but the external Firewire DVD-drive and network will work. On at least installed system, “linux pci=noacpi” seems to be enough.
END QUOTE

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree but, as you have not received any other replies, this is at least worth a try. It won't cost anything to try the noacpi or whatever boot cheat code (you can even try it first with the LiveDVD by pressing F5 at the boot prompt, if you want). See the SL Wiki for how to use boot cheat codes if you're not already familiar with doing this.

(By the way, this Foxconn story has highlighted ACPI support in firmware/software. Even if the guy who first raised this issue, one "Ryan", is wrong about Foxconn deliberately sabotaging a BIOS against Linux, it looks like there might now be some much-needed focus on improving ACPI support for Linux in some BIOSes and some Linux kernels.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General