Lost APP - Dynamic text input with only a mouse

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Lost APP - Dynamic text input with only a mouse

Postby smudge » Tue Jul 22, 2008 14:07

Hi guys, just a silly question as I was playing with an app a while ago and now can't find it anywhere. I'm pretty sure I used it in Sabayon.

It is a Visual application that you can use supposedly to speed type using only a mouse. you pick a letter and it grows and pans through words allowing you to build sentences with only a few short cuts and a steady hand - no sniggering!

I can't find it anywhere. Anyone else seen it and know what I mean? Anyone have any success with it? Please let me know.
Windowz.. Cos the kids love it!
smudge
Simple Hen

Resolved: Lost APP - Dynamic text input with only a mouse

Postby smudge » Thu Jul 24, 2008 19:31

With thanks to David the H. from linuxquestions, I can confirm this peculiar app is called Dasher. Please check it out, see the videos of it in use on the homesite as well as youtube and feel free to post any user experiences here.
smudge
Simple Hen

Re: Lost APP - Dynamic text input with only a mouse

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:22

That looks interesting and novel. I see there's an ebuild in Portage too. I may give it a try sometime just out of curiosity.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby smudge » Fri Jul 25, 2008 15:36

The first thing that appealed to me about Sabayon, not only that it's a polished Gentoo distribution (aka geek, aka exceptional) is it's refined selection of applications, essentually the best pick of the litter.

Considering M$ Vista ships with pretty good voice recognition support, beyond what's available in the FOSS (to my knowledge), Dasher, although a little tedious for the able bodied, together with Roborealm could make your linux distro more interactive.

Video here.

For my love of all things Linux and of course Sabayon, good old M$ is stretching heavily ahead with it's productivity applications. One only has to look at Office 2007 and Open Office for a quick blast back to 1980 computing. I think dasher could be used in correlation with other tools but fear it's a stretch from matching the productivity of the likes of Office 2007 and voice recognition. Natural voice alone would be nice as an upgrade to the somewhat dated speech synth in FOSS distributions.

Think I'll search the forums for a comparison collection of productivity tools and add my five cents.
smudge
Simple Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Jul 25, 2008 22:50

Fitzcarraldo wrote:That looks interesting and novel. I see there's an ebuild in Portage too. I may give it a try sometime just out of curiosity.

It's already included software in 3.5 (utilities/accessibility/predictive text entry). It produces similar hilarious results to voice recognition software :)
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General