repositories.conf keeps getting blanked

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

repositories.conf keeps getting blanked

Postby shogun » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:57

I'm absolutely loving Sabayon right now, except for one specific detail. Any time there's an update for Spritz or Equo, my repositories.conf gets clobbered when I try to install them without notifying me, and I have to manually add back in the repositories. It's starting to become annoying.

Anyways, I didn't notice this until Spritz hit v0.15.24.1, and it appears that it happened again (although the second time was probably my fault, as I assumed that there was a new Spritz and Equo version because there was a new portage version). The first time it happened through Spritz itself, but the second time was probably from entropy. The solution for both times was to add the standard repository back by hand, then equo update. If anyone can tell me how to avoid having to keep doing this whenever a new version of Spritz or Equo comes out, let me know.
shogun
Baby Hen

Re: repositories.conf keeps getting blanked

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:09

You had to re-add the standard sabayonlinux.org repo?
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby shogun » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:36

Yeah. Kind of was a little surprised when it did that myself, and even more surprised when it seemed like I've been the only one to have this issue. Was a pain to figure out where it was the first time, but the second time (today) was much smoother, although still a bit of a pain.

One thing that I'm wondering about is if during the installs of equo or spritz it checks each of the individual links to see if they're still active, and removes them if they aren't. If that's the case, then this issue might be caused by some slight meddling from my ISP, as the last couple of weeks they've had quite a few HTTP/SSH brownouts, while other types of packets like UDP or torrent packets still get through just fine (which to me suggests that they're attempting some type of packet filtering, but are failing to understand that they're targeting the wrong traffic). However, I won't be dealing with them anymore in a week, as I'll be moving (also, they were the only option for my apartment complex, and no, they aren't Comcast, as it's an apartment run ISP).

If this is the real problem, then my suggestion would be to just accept repositories.conf as-is without checking, so that they don't get accidentally removed during the install process if the net connection drops (or in this case, is unresponsive).
shogun
Baby Hen

Postby greywolf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:15

You are not alone. I installed Sabayon 3.5 yesterday and (after lots of confusion) managed to show my ISP's mirror server as the primary repo before doing 85 updates.

Aside...... my ISP has a substantial mirror of Linux distributions and their repos, and downloads from this mirror are Plan download quota exempt. So, downloading the iso AND maintaining a Linux distribution is all free of download quota. A substantial incentive to run Linux.

I did the updates (including one to equo) and it used my ISP's mirror and all was fine.

This morning I went to install the game Torcs and noticed the package manager downloading from some place in ITALY??!! I live in Australia! On checking, you are right, the /etc/entropy/repositories.conf had been overwritten with a default version. However, I did find what I think is the backup of my version at "._equo_backup.0_repositories.conf".

Perhaps the way to avoid this apparent override on update is to make the /etc/entropy directory "update protected" I think it is called. Does that sound feasible?

Cheers,
greywolf
greywolf
Baby Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 17:22

Erm, the config file is protected! Equo gives you the option to keep the original config files when you run "equo conf update" if you blindly accept config file changes (which you should never do) then the file will get replaced.
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby shogun » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:26

I'm not in the habit of just blindly accepting config changes, and prefer to go through each of them by hand (and change only when I know exactly what it changed). What was happening was that it was getting clobbered without letting me know (when using Spritz). I haven't had this same problem for quite a while, but then again, I do a lot more with equo now than I used to.

Since this hasn't happened for a while, I don't know if it still is occurring. Normally, I'd like to be able to give more information on what occurred, but since it only happened every now and then, and that I'm not using the same ISP any more since I moved, I don't know if I can reproduce it. Like I said before, the first time was from running Spritz, while the second time was from entropy, and that second time could very well have been my fault inadvertently (although I wasn't notified about any config changes).

EDIT: Oh, sorry. I didn't notice that it was a response to the previous post. However, it still doesn't explain how this happened to me.
shogun
Baby Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:37

So everything is working fine for you now? even using spritz?
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby shogun » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:19

Yeah, now, but it could happen again in the future (since I'm not entirely sure if it has been fixed). However, it might be worth looking into this problem to make sure that there aren't any race conditions in which Spritz could be tricked into blanking the file. Changing it to point to other mirrors is not a reproduction of this issue, as that's a much more specific problem and can be linked to be the user's fault for blindly accepting config files. However, it might be extremely difficult to find spots that could be causing race conditions unless it occurs again on someone else's setup.
shogun
Baby Hen

Postby rargente » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:11

Well this doesn't seem to have gone away.

I just did an upgrade on my Sabayon 4-r1 install and equo removed my repositories.conf file. I could understand if it got replaced with a default version, but for some reason my file was backed up to ._equo_backup.0_repositories.conf and then deleted. Not sure how that happens. Any guesses?

My mistake, The backup was from before. My changed file just got hosed.
rargente
Baby Hen

Postby albfneto » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:13

you may......

copy the backup file (if is correct!), rename the copy to repositories.conf......

run as root:

equo install equo
equo update

then you runned 'equo conf update" ?
if runned it, choose the option merge asking, each by each, not the option merge without asking...

choose : NOT TO OVERWRITE repositories.conf.

another feature: you choosed to Upgrade from 3.5 or choosed make a fresh installation of 4.0 R1?
afresh installatio of the las version is raccomended, is this because in versions prior to 3.5.1, the old Entropy was bugged and deleting the repositories.conf file!
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers