Easy Steps: how I got wireless working with Realtek 8187b

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Easy Steps: how I got wireless working with Realtek 8187b

Postby mythus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:16

Really? I got it working on my wife's laptop. I haven't modified the steps though as I didn't ahve to do anything with he update to 3.5 stable.

One thing that I have learned is that ndiswrapper module is listed in modules.d. I am assuming here that it created that module for ndiswrapper with the upgrade as I once had to place it in the kernel page.

So try this. follow the steps as before, except get the ndiswrapper from spritz. Then try loading the realtek driver as the steps say, and mod probe it. after that is done, go and see if it is in modules.d in your /etc/ folder. I am suspecting that it will be.
Legends of Nor'Ova - Post appocalyptic steampunk-like forum and Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book site
mythus
Baby Hen

Re: Easy Steps: how I got wireless working with Realtek 8187b

Postby farfnarf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:43

mythus wrote:Really? I got it working on my wife's laptop. I haven't modified the steps though as I didn't ahve to do anything with he update to 3.5 stable.

One thing that I have learned is that ndiswrapper module is listed in modules.d. I am assuming here that it created that module for ndiswrapper with the upgrade as I once had to place it in the kernel page.

So try this. follow the steps as before, except get the ndiswrapper from spritz. Then try loading the realtek driver as the steps say, and mod probe it. after that is done, go and see if it is in modules.d in your /etc/ folder. I am suspecting that it will be.

Thank you, mythus, I will try that a little later on today. I printed the wiki instructions, and will add that step you mention.. here's to it working and getting me back off of Vista on this nice little laptop! 8)

- Farfnarf
farfnarf
Simple Hen

Previous

Return to Networking and Wireless