video converter with GUI

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

video converter with GUI

Postby bubs » Tue Jul 08, 2008 20:17

I'm looking for a video converter with a GUI and if possible be in spritz (ubuquity).

I tried Konverter and kmenc15 but both report back mencoder errors.

I want to convert video files to xvid avi's at 320x240 for my Miezu audio player. the miezu only plays xvid. I was trying to convert big buck bunny so I can show some people at my university what kind of animations people can do with blender. I know they can download it for free but that takes time and their interest wears off during the download.

I heard transcode was good... does it have a good GUI? If your suggestion isn't in the package manager can you explain or give me some clue on how to install it. been using ubuntu and fedora for a few years but only once compiled from source and even then followed some online instructions. I heard installing things are kind of difficult with gentoo, and since this distro is based on gentoo I would expect similar.

Oh. and I never needed to convert video in the last distro's I just got my first mp3 player that plays video.
bubs
Baby Hen

Re: video converter with GUI

Postby sjieke » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:53

Have you tried vlc (http://www.videolan.org/), it is in entropy under the 'media-video' categorie
To transcode you do the following:
1) Choose open file, there you browse to the file you want to transcode
2) In the same window, enable the 'Stream/Save' option and press the Settings button next to it.
3a) In the 'Stream Output' window under the 'Output group' select File and specify the file you want to be created. Use '.mp4' or '.avi' as extension depending on the 'Encapsulation Method' (see 4a and 4b)
3b) If you wanna see the video during the save enable 'Play locally'
4a) VideoLan cannot create 'avi' files, but maybe you're mp3 player also supports mp4 files, so select MP4 for 'Encapsulation Method'
4b) If MP4 doesn't work (try it first) you can force avi encapsulation by modifying the 'Target line'. There you need to change 'mux=mp4' into 'mux=avi'. I don't know if it still works, but I did it this way before.
5) Enable video codec and choose 'mp4v' (this is MPEG4, which is also DivX), change the bitrate according to what you need, Higher values give better result but larger files
6) For the audio, choose to your liking
7) Press ok in all windows open
8) Press play

Hope this helps you

EDIT: The following contains more info on converting video files for an IPod: http://wiki.videolan.org/IPod
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby bubs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 19:05

Thanks. I heard that vlc can do that but never knew how to do it. I'll try it and report back!
bubs
Baby Hen

Postby sjieke » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:55

I'm eager to here the results, because my experience with it is from 2 years ago when I did some research about 'Video Streaming' at the university.
sjieke
Technological Hen

Return to Software in General