how to use cpufreq

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

how to use cpufreq

Postby greyghost » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:57

Hi folks,

some days ago I did my first Sabayon (loop3 in my case) installation (after working with various other Linuxes for ages). I use Gentoo on some server machines, and Sabayon seems to be a perfect match for workstations. So congrats to all who contributed.

However, I have one issue left I could not solve:
I installed Sabayon on a Desktop using a mobile Core2Duo CPU. For some reason I do not understand it insists on doing frequency scaling down to 1GHz. Frequency does not increase when load increases as far as I can see. I can set a higher frequency using cpufreq-selector, but some minutes later it is lowered again. It is also low after booting, although I have added cpufrequtils with rc-update and set GOVERNOR="performance" in /etc/conf.d/cpufrequtils.
The only running process I found which may be responsible for this is /usr/libexec/hald-addon-cpufreq. Unfortunately I could not find out so far how to configure or just turn off this process (I would be perfectly happy with the CPU running at the highest possible frequency all the time).

Does anyone here have a hint where and how to configure this stuff?

cu
Gerrit
greyghost
Baby Hen

Re: how to use cpufreq

Postby deadfool » Fri Jun 20, 2008 23:47

i have a pentiumM and with "conservative" it runs as low as it can unless it is under load then it speeds up. most of the time im running at 800mhz despite being able to run at 2.13ghz. run "cpufreq-info" and you should see something like
Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to [email protected], please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: centrino
  CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.13 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.13 GHz, 1.86 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.33 GHz, 1.06 GHz, 800 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, powersave, userspace, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 2.13 GHz.
                  The governor "conservative" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 800 MHz.

if not as root run "cpufreq-set -g conservative"
deadfool
Growing Hen

Re: how to use cpufreq

Postby greyghost » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:28

deadfool wrote:i have a pentiumM and with "conservative" it runs as low as it can unless it is under load then it speeds up. most of the time im running at 800mhz despite being able to run at 2.13ghz. run "cpufreq-info" and you should see something like
Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to [email protected], please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: centrino
  CPUs which need to switch frequency at the same time: 0
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.13 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.13 GHz, 1.86 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.33 GHz, 1.06 GHz, 800 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, powersave, userspace, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 2.13 GHz.
                  The governor "conservative" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 800 MHz.

if not as root run "cpufreq-set -g conservative"

cpufreq-info is working fine for me, but it always says that the cpu is running at 1GHz (instead of the possible 2 GHz). As I do have a desktop here (no battery power, always plugged into regular power supply) I wanted to set -g performance to prevent the lowering of the cpu frequency.
However, hald-addon-cpufreq seems to overwrite these manual setting after a while. I guess it is hald, because the frequency is lowered after some minutes or hours after a manual setting if hald is running, whereas the manual setting is kept after killing hald-addon-cpufreq.
So my question how to configure or turn off hald-addon-cpufreq remains...

cu
Gerrit
greyghost
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General