lost vista boot loader after install

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

lost vista boot loader after install

Postby electrodad » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:31

hi,
i have used linux in the past also the first dist. of Sabayon. I had a existing dual boot system of Vista Business and PCLinux Gnome. I decided to load the latest version of Sabayon during install I chose to remove all linux partitions for disk setup. Unfortunately when I rebooted the Vista option did not show up in the boot lodaer menu. Is there a way to get vista in the boot loader again? Many thanks ! :cry:
electrodad
Baby Hen

Re: lost vista boot loader after install

Postby xlnagla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:25

This would be slightly more convenient if you still had your old grub.conf, but adding a few lines to /boot/grub/grub.conf should do it. First thing you need to know is where is vista - sda1, sda2, sda3, sdb1, etc. Once you figure that out, just add to /boot/grub/grub.conf

title "Windows Vista"
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

(hd0,0) assumes both that you have an IDE drive and that Vista is on the first partition of the primary drive. (hd0,1) would be second, etc.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby electrodad » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:39

Well I think I'm hosed. I cannot seem to get the LILO boot manager configured properly without error messages popping up. I also cannot mount the vista partition under the storage media desktop. I do however have a recent image of my vista partition I can reload I'll loose a few emails. If I were to load Sabayon again on a empty partition along with Vista should it create the proper boot loader?
electrodad
Baby Hen

Postby eMxyzptlk » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:51

Are you sure that you didn't erase the whole drive? what does
Code: Select all
# fdisk -l /dev/sda
give you ?

Anyway, in case your partition is still there, take a look at my grub configuration maybe it'll help, but if you don't have the partition anymore you'll have to reinstall both Vista and Sabayon ( unless you don't mind using windows in VirtualBox, it'll save you lots of headaches) ...
eMxyzptlk
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:58

You're not hosed, your problem is that you're not using GRUB - restore vista, and then re-run the SL DVD and choose "create new bootloader configuration". We don't really do lilo anymore.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby livinglifeback » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:48

i'm got a similar issue to his my computer loaded into vista fine i did some updates added virtual box and then my vista loader satrted booting into sabayon? any help i looked at the posts above and have no idea how to edit a config file
livinglifeback
Young Hen

Postby joeoden » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:20

livinglifeback wrote:any help i looked at the posts above and have no idea how to edit a config file

You can learn about grub by typing man grub in a terminal
You edit files as root, there is a few ways to do it, I prefer using a filemanager as root, more advanced users would just use nano or vi the easy way in this case would to type kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/grub.conf also you could edit or reinstall grub using the grub editor in the advanced tab of syetem settings

For a lot more info have a read of the wiki and search for grub or and boot in the newbies forum
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby livinglifeback » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:40

i need to knowf where the kernel for windows is my computer booted fine until i updated sabayon and then my grub was changed so that the windows and sabayon are booting the same kernel

but i've never edited the kernel, even the original copy of the menu shows it booting into the linux kernal but i've never changed that and it didn't orginaly boot into sabayon, so where is the windows kernel stored?
livinglifeback
Young Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:48

post output of:
/boot/grub/grub.conf

and
fdisk -l
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**