Graph Plotting software

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Graph Plotting software

Postby hunt_mat » Fri May 16, 2008 16:26

Hi,

I have done some calculations in octave and I want to export the data to a data plotting program so I can play around with the image to make it look good. I know I can use gnuplot which comes with octave but I can't make the graphs/plot look good. Does anyone know of such software?

Regards

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Re: Graph Plotting software

Postby freeallbadgers » Fri May 16, 2008 16:50

I don't know of any programs specifically, I have no use but a quick suggestion would be to install eix, if you haven't already.

Code: Select all
emerge -av eix && update-eix

Then simply do a search of package names and descriptions using plot or plotting as a keyword

Code: Select all
eix -sS plot

that returned me 34 matches. Obviously you'll have to install and see if any of them meets your needs, but there was certainly a few that sounded like what you
are looking for.

I'm
“I just finished compiling glibc and now it says there is a new update available? Arrgh! It never ends!!”
freeallbadgers
Growing Hen

Postby hunt_mat » Fri May 16, 2008 17:02

What I would love to do is bring in the raw data into the program, plot it and then make it look nice and pretty.

I can get data files (text files essentially) in the form of .txt or .dat and then do a polar plot with the data and then draw arrows and stuff like that.

Mat
hunt_mat
Growing Hen

Postby chinchey » Sat May 17, 2008 16:05

You could look into Root, in portage at sci-physics/root. I've used this pretty extensively for work. It's a high energy physics suite developed by CERN. But there might be a bit of a learning curve. There's certainly a lot of functionality there (way more than you're looking for, probably), but if other things aren't doing what you want, check it out. It would help a lot if you knew C++, too.

Documentation is at
http://root.cern.ch/
chinchey
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General