Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 3.5 Feature requests/ideas

Postby Kulluminatii » Sat Mar 08, 2008 19:10

Well, just a few moments ago I stumbled upon the "Looking Glass" 3D desktop environment. From what I've read, its made by SunJava specifically for the open-source community. Personally, I think it looks nice and it would be great if added to the Sabayon 3.5 DVD.

Here are more links to images if you want to see more but don't want to Google for them :D ... ass2_f.jpg ... -glass.jpg ... 85ed25.jpg ... -glass.jpg
Young Hen

Postby joost » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:04

No. ugly and eating resources. :roll:
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Sun Mar 09, 2008 17:38

joost wrote:LOL!

No. ugly and eating resources. :roll:

+1 no kidding, just add it yourself

Postby Kulluminatii » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14

Well, I agree it isnt exactly the best looking at the moment, but that could probably change in future releases. Oh well, nothing really big, just thought I would throw the idea out there, kinda got shot down pretty bad though :P
Young Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:40

Looking Glass looks nice, but it's still too early for prime-time. Perhaps adding LG3D to the Entropy packages list could be a possibility? The Gentoo instructions are a bit old, and the binary install file from the LG3D site doesn't like the newer Xorg servers/whatever.
Granular Linux includes Looking Glass in its install and is fun to play with, but like I said LG3D is not ready for productivity purposes yet.
Growing Hen

Postby R3MF » Mon Mar 17, 2008 15:26

i am delighted to see truecrypt 5.0a included in loop2.

and i would love to see Blender brought back into Sabayon.
Advanced Hen

Postby kerneloftruth » Tue Mar 18, 2008 19:52

==> == encrypted partitions

truecrypt <== ==> cryptsetup

please :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Baby Hen

Postby archwndas » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:51

Hi guys, thank you for giving us the opportunity to suggest ideas for a better Sabayon:

1) Kernel
You could provide 2 kernels:
a) for AMD based architectures with all the required AMD hacks
b) for Intel based Core2 architectures with all the required Intel hacks.

The installer could automatically examine the output of /proc/cpuinfo and decide which kernel to install.

2) Packages
-Os results in much slower code than -O2
one of my codes:
-Os -O2
======= ======
loading : 920 msecs 898 msecs
multiply: 6187 msecs 5124 msecs

so it would make sense to keep 2 types of packages: Those compiled for size and those compiled for performance. It is not that important however. It is up to you. I am satisfied with both. Some users though may want the most out of their system.

3) Remove Fluxbox and use another more eyecandy WM like e17 or enlightenment. Even CTWM is much better than FluxBox and more light.

4) Try to do something that nobody else does: provide isos to be burned to USB-hard disks or USB-flash. Installing from those will be much faster than installing from the DVD. You can have a tutorial on how to burn the image. It will be great if we can boot the Sabayon Live iso from a flash-disk and/or flash hard drive and install it from there. Installation will be amazingly faster.

5) Fix Equo Entropy e.t.c. and make the package manager orders of magnitude faster. I have sent you both (Lxnay and Wolfden) a private email explaining the way how.

6) Include KGmailNotifier

7) Please add Greek in the available languages. You have added Russian and many other is it so hard to add Greek out of the box as well?

8) Do something about KDE menu. There are so many apps in there than when you go for instance in the internet submenu it covers up KDE menu and then you cannot access KDE menu. A smaller font there could fix the problem.

9) Add KoolDock and Reflective_icons theme as well as the Crystal Icons theme. Why eye-candy Sabayon's (coming from a fashion leading country) KDE should look like every other KDE?

10) PLEASE do something about the bootsplash theme (I mean the grub splash.xpm.gz) because it is awful. Doesn't fit with an eye candy linux Distro
More later ...
Advanced Hen

Postby fenius » Sat Mar 22, 2008 17:45

Little suggestion about Sprtiz:
When listing the available updates it would be nice to make visible wich package is a critical update (complicated and dangerous task) and wich is a safe update (simple and without risks of any kind).
Something similar to what they're doing with packagekit: different icons for different kind of packages could do the job
Growing Hen

Postby deadfool » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:02

make equo rotate servers from the fetch

let equo parallel fetch

make equo start to install packages as soon as it has 1 downloaded

if equo doesnt find the package it automatically sends it to emerge

make the installer so it just installs what you want vs installs everything then removes it

use lilo
Growing Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions