FF crashes when opening flash files full screen

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

FF crashes when opening flash files full screen

Postby lleb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 18:37

i have had my sabayon box off line for a few months due to no internet at the house. in that time i have started using flash 9 from CS3 to create videos for my web page (have been using CS2 and flash8 encoder) as it allows for better compression, better quality, and for opening flash files in full screen mode.

i have tested it in FF in winXP, win2k pro, OSx and have zero problems. it has been tested on HUNDREDS of computers from my students and their families with zero problems.

when i try to open one of the videos in full screen it crashes my FF. this is repeatable and predictable.

i am running sabayon 3.3

uname -a
Linux sabAMD64 2.6.20-sabayon-r3 #1 SMP Tue Mar 13 21:25:59 UTC 2007 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

no that is NOT the 64bit vs, just the standard 32bit vs. i just call my system AMD64 so i know what system is up and running at the time i am looking at my network.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071227 Firefox/2.0.0.11

that is my FF build.

the only add ons i run are the same on every computer:

Adblock
NoScript
All-In-One Gestures

no others.

[edit to add] the URL i have been testing with:

http://www.ssma.us/media/boardbreak/bb.html

they all crash FF for me.
Sun State Martial Arts "The Family Training Center!"
worlds worst speller
lleb
Growing Hen

Re: FF crashes when opening flash files full screen

Postby DontPanic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 16:46

I clicked through on your provided link, and played several of the videos in full-screen without problem.

The system I tested on is slightly different than in my tagline (I have several boxes).

I am running 32-bit x86 SabayonLinux based on the 3.4-f miniCD, but fully world updated and current. I have used the HowTo for holding my system to stable x86 packages with ~x86 packages by exception.

Code: Select all
# uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.23-sabayon-r1 #1 SMP Thu Mar 6 14:23:12 UTC 2008 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Firefox is the compiled 2.0.0.12 package, not the binary:
# eix www-client/mozilla-firefox
[I] www-client/mozilla-firefox
     Installed versions:  2.0.0.12(07:31:04 AM 03/06/2008)(filepicker gnome ipv6 java xforms xinerama xprint -bindist -debug -iceweasel -linguas_af -linguas_ar -linguas_be -linguas_bg -linguas_ca -linguas_cs -linguas_da -linguas_de -linguas_el -linguas_en_GB -linguas_es -linguas_es_AR -linguas_es_ES -linguas_eu -linguas_fi -linguas_fr -linguas_fy -linguas_fy_NL -linguas_ga -linguas_ga_IE -linguas_gu -linguas_gu_IN -linguas_he -linguas_hu -linguas_it -linguas_ja -linguas_ka -linguas_ko -linguas_ku -linguas_lt -linguas_mk -linguas_mn -linguas_nb -linguas_nb_NO -linguas_nl -linguas_nn -linguas_nn_NO -linguas_pa -linguas_pa_IN -linguas_pl -linguas_pt -linguas_pt_BR -linguas_pt_PT -linguas_ro -linguas_ru -linguas_sk -linguas_sl -linguas_sv -linguas_sv_SE -linguas_tr -linguas_uk -linguas_zh -linguas_zh_CN -linguas_zh_TW -mozdevelop -moznopango -restrict-javascript)
     Homepage:            http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
     Description:         Firefox Web Browser

I have flashblock running. That's my only add-on.

My flash player is as follows:
# eix net-www/netscape-flash
[I] net-www/netscape-flash
     Available versions:  {M}7.0.68 {M}9.0.48.0!m 9.0.48.0-r1!m 9.0.115.0!m {debug}
     Installed versions:  9.0.115.0!m(03:52:19 PM 03/17/2008)
     Homepage:            http://www.adobe.com/
     Description:         Adobe Flash Player
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby wolfden » Wed Mar 19, 2008 17:51

I'm on Pro Edition 1.1 64 bit and I had no problem in full screen mode

:?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lleb » Wed Mar 19, 2008 18:40

well a few things on my system seem to be borked... i can no longer emerge, i get loads and loads of masked package errors, when i try to unmask them i get more and more errors and i know FAR to little about both linux and gentoo to even begin to start fixing things...

can i grab a current sab disk and install ONTOP of what i have without losing any data? will/would that start to resolve some of my issues?
worlds worst speller
lleb
Growing Hen

Postby DontPanic » Wed Mar 19, 2008 19:22

The pain and woe of countless others that have gone before us has led to the following standard warning:

"Please backup your data before starting any kind of major upgrade/re-install/whatever"

Once you've properly heeded this adage, it's often just as easy to make a fresh install.

I've never used Sabayon's upgrade option. But based on what I've seen from other user's posts in the forums, it can be hit-or-miss as to it's effectiveness.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby lleb » Wed Mar 19, 2008 21:36

figures. might have to try Debian again to see if they have resolved the hardware conflicts my rig had when i first built it.
worlds worst speller
lleb
Growing Hen

Return to Software in General