external drive

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

external drive

Postby IceDragon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 21:12

Hello,

This is my first post here, so please be patient and indulgent.

Firstly, I love sabayon. I was getting so frustrated with vista that I decided to change.

I'm trying to get the hang of it slowly and I have to say it goes quite well for now, mainly thanks to the forums.

I do however have one problem that can't seem to find a solution to anywhere. I've tried google, but nothing (probably not searching with the right terms here). So I'm asking for your help :D

When I connect my external hard drive (maxtor 300 GB), all folders and files are there, except the files with accents in the name. For instance, I can see "all apologies.mp3", but not "la traversée du désert.mp3". I have the same problem with all files with é, è, à and other types of accents.

It is quite annoying, because my whole music collection is on that drive. When I connect the drive to my XP pc, it shows all the files, also the accentuated ones.

Can anyone help me out?

Tanks a lot

config: sabayon 3.4F 64 ; acer aspire 9300; turion 64 2.2 ghz; 1GB ram; gforce 6100
IceDragon
Baby Hen

Re: external drive

Postby xlnagla » Tue Mar 11, 2008 0:57

This problem is because Linux uses UTF-8 default, not unicode. To solve, you can most likely just download the language pack for whatever language your common titles are in for whatever program you need to view it in. If it's a ton of applications and you use emerge/portage and not equo, you can set in your make.conf file (/etc/make.conf) LINGUAS="en fr" to be sure to compile code with support for both languages (it seems like French for this one). Then just re-compile whatever program offends you, being sure to compile the version you currently have - just run "emerge =<programname>-x.x.x" in a terminal as root where <programname> is the name of the program and x.x.x is the version number. As a last note, you need to be root to edit /etc/make.conf - you can either put your favorite graphical program in a run dialog and choose to run as a different user (root) or evoke it as root in the command line. Hope this works for you!

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General