Crysis + linux ??

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Crysis + linux ??

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Nov 26, 2007 13:08

Does anyone have a idea if crysis will have a linux installer or if it would run in cedega or wine .

It seems to torture most of the 8600gt cards so not sure if we would ahve to wait for a patch either in windows /wine / cedega or if the linux version comes out a patch for it.
I will post on EA forums maybe they know.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: Crysis + linux ??

Postby Stupot » Mon Nov 26, 2007 15:20

Crysis is insane with it's requirements. I think we're a long way off from Crysis running in linux. Heck, I need to buy a new video card just to play it on medium settings.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby BGis » Thu Nov 29, 2007 13:53

I gave it a try and am getting C++ errors
BGis
Baby Hen

Postby brigs » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:10

BGis wrote:I gave it a try and am getting C++ errors

which you tried that, cedega or wine ??
brigs
Baby Hen

Postby Symphony » Sun Dec 23, 2007 16:59

Theoretically and practically, Crysis shouldn't work with either Cedega, Wine or Crossover.

DirectX 9 is an extremely hard process to emulate as it is and OpenGL is beginning to feel rusty.
Crysis uses a lot of new elements such as parallax mapping, depth of field, motion blur etc. Old games were made to be simple. Crysis is exactly the opossite of simple. You need a very powerful computer to run Crysis, let alone emulate it. And if you're using Compiz-Fusion, it'll be even harder.

Most older games could be emulated on Linux by forcing DirectX 8. DirectX 8 is relatively easy to convert to OpenGL.
Crysis was made to run under DirectX 10, but supports a minimum of DirectX 9.

With all the new games that will appear from this point on, something has to change!
Either make Wine/Crossover/Cedega able to emulate DX9 better or attempt to recreate DirectX in Linux natively, altough this may be a little complicated as copyright laws come in.

Your best bet is by using that crappy XP.
- Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 45 nm 3.16 Ghz OC 3.8 Ghz
- 2 GB DDR2 (2 x 512 MB DDR2 Kingston; 2 x 512 MB ADDR2 Sycron)
- Asus EN 9800 GTX 512 MB GDDR3 OC: Core --> 802 MHz Memory --> 1187 MHz Shader --> 2005 MHz
- Hitachi 120 GB SATA
Symphony
Baby Hen

Postby thedevilsjester » Sat Feb 23, 2008 15:00

Either make Wine/Crossover/Cedega able to emulate DX9 better or attempt to recreate DirectX in Linux natively.

And what to you is 'natively' ?

Wine has their own, native Linux versions of all the DirectX DLLs. All the code is pure Linux code.

However since neither nVidia or ATI create Linux DirectX drivers for their cards (only OpenGL drivers), all the DirectX graphics calls must be converted to OpenGL calls.

This wrapping process will lower performance slightly, but Linux being generally faster then Windows will sometimes not only make up for that Wine overhead, but even get better performance.

The only way for this to change is for all the graphics card manufacturers to start making Linux DirectX drivers, which will never happen.

Most older games could be emulated on Linux by forcing DirectX 8.

That may have been the case a year or so ago, but its far from true today.

DirectX 8 is relatively easy to convert to OpenGL.

DX8 is just as difficult to convert to OpenGL as DX9.

The reason DX8 works so well in Wine is because it has had many years to mature, where as DX9 and DX10 are relatively new.

DX10 is also apparently a lot more similar to OpenGL then previous DX versions (I havent worked with DX10 so I cannot say from experience), so DX10 might even be easier to create a wrapper for, the only problem is that developers (Wine, Cedega, Crossover) probably wont even begin DX10 support for a while because no games as yet actually 'require' it, and they still need to finish up DX9 and some DX8.
thedevilsjester
Simple Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed