SANE XSANe problem

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

SANE XSANe problem

Postby Calldrick » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:54

Hello fellow Sabayon users

I have a number of issues to sort out.

The first is my new Brother MFC685CW all in one printer.

ok I have installed the printer as a ethernet network printer and installed the drivers from the brother website ... ivers.html clicked on the link for my model and I get the driver package for the MFC665CW....

oh well dosn't matter give them a try anyhow problem is they are rolled for RPM and Debian flavor of linux no problem found this handy howto and followed it just swapping the names for my driver package... hey presto it works I can now network print to my MFC....woohoo!!!!

The problem is I cant get XSANE to see my scanner but kooka can ???? and to get the scanner button on the MFC to work I need to get SANE to work.

any tips? or request for log extracts/config files? to help me work out what is going on

I am guessing that it probably has something to do with how sane back end works in as far as talking to the network rather than usb.... but I haven't hit the right howto yet as all i can find is howto's for sane usb fixes.

Baby Hen

Re: SANE XSANe problem

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:34

Well, I don't know about you, but I have "usb" as one of the global USE flags in my /etc/make.conf and if I do an "emerge -1pv sane-backends" as root in a Terminal window I get the following:

Code: Select all
# emerge -1pv sane-backends

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] media-gfx/sane-backends-1.0.19 [1.0.18-r5] USE="gphoto2 ipv6 usb v4l -doc%" 4,201 kB

Total: 1 package (1 upgrade), Size of downloads: 4,201 kB

Now, if you look at the ebuild for sane-backends, "usb" is one of the USE flags: (click on View to see the ebuild)

So, you could try rebuilding sane-backends with temporary Use flags switching off the "usb" flag from /etc/make.conf (and switching it off from /etc/portage/package.use too, if the local Use flag "usb" happens to be in there for sane-backends):

# USE="gphoto2 ipv6 -usb v4l -doc" emerge -1v sane-backends

I don't have a network printer/scanner, so have no idea if this would solve the problem, but it's worth a shot.
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General