The real stablilty of Firefox

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

The real stablilty of Firefox

Postby ModifiedReality » Fri Feb 15, 2008 18:27

I have been using Firefox for a long time now as my main internet browser and there is one thing I noticed no matter what OS I am running. Either it be WIndows, Linux, BSD or whatever I seem to have alway notice it being a bit unstable. Mostly how for no obvious reason it will quit while browsing different sites.
ModifiedReality
Young Hen

Re: The real stablilty of Firefox

Postby chickpea » Fri Feb 15, 2008 19:52

That is certainly odd. I have never experienced anything like that and I have used FF under linux and windows xp/vista for years.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Feb 15, 2008 20:38

I've also never had that issue when using it under windows or linux. It does have some memory leaks, but supposedly it'll be vastly improved in FF3.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 21:58

Hi,

I agree, Firefon on my Sabayon is giving some pains. I usually use two browsers due to thinks not working. I use Konqueror as my general browser, because to me it's one of the most convenient programs I have been ever using. However, some video content on some news web pages do not work, so I use Firefox. But Firefox 2.0.0.11 can sometimes simply dissapear and then I cannot launch it. I check if I have any processes running, when none are there I start Firefox, I can see the hourglass running for about 20 seconds and then..... nothing. Not a single Firefox process. WHen I restart my linux I can again start Firefox.

Funny thing, I also used Firefox recently on my WIndows XP. I try to start it, but it pops up with a message that it is already running and asks me to shut it down first. I tried reinstalling it again to no avail. I think the Mozilla team is really messing around now. Since I don't specially like the way Opera works I think there is no good alternative, in fact, there is no real good browser now on Linux. I only know there are some new projects that might replace the Konqueror browser and give us a real good product.
I read Gentoo programmers are causing a bit of a mess too, but Mozilla... :evil:
Not to mention the Thunderbird mail client which I am very used to, now many features are disabled and I am beginning to be fed up with some of the software produced recently. Doesn't look good to me. I tried KMail, but then this one doesn't work with my mail boxes.

Skype is also another super program :evil: (I only use it because of my friends), this one can really block your computer no matter whether it's WIndows or Linux. A pain in the a....

Regards,
Richard.
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:14

Strange. I have no stability problems with Firefox either under Windows or Linux (SL, Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS). Well, the only problem is with the 64-bit version of Firefox under SL as there is no up-to-date 64-bit Java plugin for Firefox -- I'm using the old Blackdown 1.4.2-03 64-bit plug-in -- so, if I'm browsing a Java site using any new Java code, 64-bit Firefox bombs out. But other than the lack of decent 64-bit Java support, Firefox gives me no trouble at all.

(And, as for Skype, Richlion, which version are you using? Skype for Linux 1.4.0.118 under SL x86_64 works perfectly in my case: the audio quality and stability are excellent.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General