Beta Firefox and Swiftfox - Browsers in General

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Beta Firefox and Swiftfox - Browsers in General

Postby wolfden » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:41

I fired up the latest firefox beta the other night on my work computer which is XP and was really impressed so I headed over to Swiftfox and grabbed it's latest. Anyone using swiftfox? It's basically an optimized firefox built to specific cpu. You don't even need to install it, grab the tar, extract and run it. Swiftfox for me, seems to use a lot less memory vs. Firefox

The beta is much cleaner interface and I'm liking it. I think FF3 will really go well with the public. Adblock Plus even works with it, so bonus! I like Opera and latest epiphany is pretty slick also, highly suggest trying it, but the no Adblock is a real downer. Epiphany is working on a Adblock.

Why do I try other browsers? Firefox is getting to be a resource pig. I haven't tried the beta in linux yet to see if it is better. I remember when FF all started and it was just plain unbloated. I hope FF3 will handle mem better.

If you haven't tried the latest epiphany out, give it a whirl. It's amazingly fast.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Beta Firefox and Swiftfox - Browsers in General

Postby dyingmuppet » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:06

I'm switching webbrowsers too, cause firefox seems to crash a lot lately; on my desktop and laptop.. my brother had some trouble with FF too on win XP...
So I tried swiftfox, epiphany, seamonkey, konqueror and opera...

Now with Opera I had some bigger issues, especially with the beta 0.9.50 I guess?
I had to install libX11 with xcb useflag disabled, but when I did that Opera ran fine but all other browsers where not able to be used anymore without the xcb useflag, so I switched back with the xcb useflag on and banned Opera from my system... at least for some time now ;)

Swiftfox was almost the same as firefox but a little more stable and the Firetray add-on worked on it. Which didn't on Firefox itself. After using swiftfox some time on my laptop I noticed it began to crash sometimes and being slow sometimes..

Epiphany looked a lot like firefox and swiftfox but a little more simplistic and less configurable... But besides that it works very fast and stable (for as long as I used it, yet).

Seamonkey also looks a lot like the old mozilla browser and reacts very fast and stable for what I have seen.

About konqueror, It works fine but I miss flash working on it. If I'm right there should be an option to get it to work, but I haven't really gone into it (yet).

Most of the browsers look a lot like each other and almost work the same, so its easy to switch from one to another ( at least you don't need to learn a complete new browser ;) ). still besides the hangs and crashes of FF and sometimes SF I use them most of the time because I need some add-ons like web-developer to use on http://www.hackthissite.org ;)

Grtz Dre
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:23

dyingmuppet wrote:About konqueror, It works fine but I miss flash working on it. If I'm right there should be an option to get it to work, but I haven't really gone into it (yet).

The latest version of Adobe Flash (9.0.115) does not work with Konqueror, only with Gecko-based browsers such as Firefox and Epiphany.

The work-around at the moment is to revert to an earlier version that works with both Konqueror and Firefox:

# emerge -1v =netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1
# emerge -1v =nspluginwrapper-0.9.9.91.4

N.B. Irrespective of the above problem with Flash 9.0.115, if Flash does not work I've found that a re-emerge of nspluginwrapper often does the trick.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Fri Feb 15, 2008 13:07

Fitzcarraldo wrote:The latest version of Adobe Flash (9.0.115) does not work with Konqueror, only with Gecko-based browsers such as Firefox and Epiphany.

The work-around at the moment is to revert to an earlier version that works with both Konqueror and Firefox:

# emerge -1v =netscape-flash-9.0.48.0-r1
# emerge -1v =nspluginwrapper-0.9.9.91.4

N.B. Irrespective of the above problem with Flash 9.0.115, if Flash does not work I've found that a re-emerge of nspluginwrapper often does the trick.

Thanks, good to know its a known issue with konqueror ;)
btw, nspluginwrapper would only be usefull for 64bit systems, if I'm right.
Besides that I have had some trouble with flash working at first and after an amount of time it ?crashed? on the browser. then I had to restart the browser and all was working again...

Grtz Dre
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 14:18

Yep, you're correct about nspluginwrapper: it's for loading 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit browsers. I keep forgetting that some folk still use the old-fashioned 32-bit SL :wink:

At least the 64-bit Konqueror browser can run the latest Java apps using the 64-bit Sun JRE, which is more than the 64-bit Firefox can do:

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Feb 15, 2008 16:57

We've gotten spoiled with the FF add ons and this makes it tough to break away from FF. If I go surfing without ad-block I am shocked at how many ads are really out there.

:shock:

I have never ever liked konqueror for a browser tho.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Richlion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 22:43

Hi All,
I just poped in for a while to see that news we have. I just posted a comment on Firefox here:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=12667

I must say I am using Konqueror a lot, many more times I use this browser than Firefox. I now only use Firefox because on http://news.sky.com/skynews/home I cannot see the video contents.

To me Konqueror has some brilliant features other browsers do not have. One of the main is the quick vertical access bar to my computer places, system settings and web browsing. I can see all my main boomarks, so now I easily can switch from browsing my computer to the web. In my folders I can easily and quickly switch the modes how I display my files, mainly details or Image view. The next thing that helps me are the Tabs. Next I can configure my own buttons on the toolbar, so I can remove the ones I do not use and leave the ones I use most often, for example:
Back, Forward, Up, Home, Reload, Stop, Enlarge Font, Shrink Font, Detail View, Image View, Applications, etc.
I only have to click !!! to increase the font on the page I am looking at, this is the one thing that makes Firefox unusable, because in Firefox I have to click Cntrl+(+) (or go to the menu), so I have to use BOTH hands, where as in Konqueror I just click on the tool bar button.

Now that I have a new 22" screen you can imagine how comfortable I am?

The new broswers however, their stablility - that is becoming another story and what I see is that some people are creating new types of web content and those who develop web browsers are at a turning point. We all know it's almost impossible to create a good "all in one" browser, however, although it lacks saving passwords to my main pages, where I have to login and maybe the security is not as good as in Firefox, Konqueror is one of the browsers almost giving me what I need. It would be a sad day for me if this browser was suddenly gone.

I can understand we will come to a point, where some funtions will stop working in Konquerer, but the new browsers are a pain now and I don't feel like switching and installing them, simply because I am really tired of testing, installing, removing, testing again, installing, on and on again.

In the end - copying files, managing my computer, web browsing, security, all in one? It's a task hard to achieve at a reasonalble cost and quality.

Regards,
RIchard
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby Richlion » Mon Feb 18, 2008 22:51

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Yep, you're correct about nspluginwrapper: it's for loading 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit browsers. I keep forgetting that some folk still use the old-fashioned 32-bit SL :wink:

I really don't understand, if I bought a computer last year with a 32-bit processor, should I now dump it into the bin?
Sorry, for the next 5-8 years I will be using this 32-bit computer, because I cannot afford to buy another new one and even if I could, I would regard this as a total waste.
I guess many people like me will share my view.

Regards,
Richard.
*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Richlion
Technological Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon Feb 18, 2008 23:01

The move is on to 64bit, even in Microsoft world the 32 bit will be no more. Of course you will have those that hold on to the 32 bit systems as they are in the same boat.

I still use SL x86 as a main OS, but I do have the 64 bit SL and SL Pro 64 bit installed. I have a hard time grasping using 64 bit yet as there is so much not developed yet for 64 bit. You're still running 32 bit apps. Yea sure there is a few gains, but the average user is not going to see any sort of improvement.

It's coming tho.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Eden » Mon Feb 18, 2008 23:09

epiphany is great, it works much better with flash than firefox.

I've also been using firefox 3.0 and its no less a memory hog than firefox 2
Last edited by Eden on Mon Feb 18, 2008 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Eden
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Software in General