WANTED : Direct Rendering. High reward ! ^^

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

WANTED : Direct Rendering. High reward ! ^^

Postby Neolander » Sun Feb 10, 2008 17:26

Hello !

I've been trying to make direct rendering work on my radeon 9600 pro... But I give up. If somebody has a good idea, I would like to know about.

What I did :
-I had to use "noproprietary" to make the livecd boot.

=> First problem : my graphic card wasn't properly detected by "drm"

-I discovered that SL kept loading fglrx. So I tried to unmerge ati-drivers. But they weren't installed... (?)
-As a consequence, I had to remove it by hand with "rm </path/to/fglrx.ko>"

=> New problem : drm isn't able to find agp support (agpgart). But I'm pretty sure that this thing MUST be compiled into sabayon's kernel...

See Xorg's output :
Code: Select all
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] DRM interface version 1.3
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] created "radeon" driver at busid "pci:0000:02:00.0"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 8192 byte SAREA at 0xe0e1d000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xe0e1d000 to 0xb7c37000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xc0000000
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
(EE) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize. Disabling the DRI.
(II) RADEON(0): [agp] You may want to make sure the agpgart kernel module
is loaded before the radeon kernel module.
(**) RADEON(0): RADEONDRICloseScreen
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe0e1d000 at 0xb7c37000

What can I do to make this work ? :shock:
Last edited by Neolander on Sun Feb 10, 2008 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Neolander
Baby Hen

Re: WANTED : Direct Rendering. High reward !

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Feb 10, 2008 19:05

You should be able to start the live cd /dvd with "xdriver=ati res=1024x768 noacceleration" and then when or if asked noglx.

Once inside / installed the compiz fusion fix should be bale to get it working again with the default ati driver.

Back to problem have a look at some of the compiz fixes in our wiki top right side of this page. Possibly installing ati-drivers could fix it as well not sure.
Also what version of SL are you using ?
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: WANTED : Direct Rendering. High reward ! ^^

Postby Neolander » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:11

I'm gonna try this out, and edit back this post when I'm done ! :)

I use the 3.4 mini edition (not having the dvd burner required to try the full one... so bad : mini is a bit TOO mini in some ways, especially when you have to boringly compile kview and the qt upgrade that comes with it to see a picture on your desktop... :lol: )

PS : Btw I don't care about compiz not working, I played with it a bit on ubuntu and arch and found it quite interesting but too buggy at the moment to be used another way as funny geekish toy to show to my friends, saying to them "Hey ! Gotta better funny effects as vista/osx ! Watch the gelatine window !!!". Some apps (especially video players) have lots of weird behaviours when using it, and in my opinion the nice composite effects are not worth enduring this.
The only reason that make me wishing direct rendering is games... So if I can get it working without AIGLX, XGL, or some other obscure X extension with a satanic name (remember... the number that activates dri is 0666 ! MUAHAHAHAHA !!! :twisted: ), it really doesn't matter :D

EDIT : Okay... using the command line options you gave, I get the same problem as with the installed version after some tweaking magic : no agp...

I tried the aiglx fix with ati-drivers but after upgrading my kernel kde won't start and the computer won't halt properly (hanging nicely at "bringing down lo") so I had to downgrade to the old 2.6.22 one for the moment...
Neolander
Baby Hen

Re: WANTED : Direct Rendering. High reward ! ^^

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:59

Damn but this is nasty for you.

Best is to try the irc chat / web chat top right of this page as the guy's there have a better clue about this and likely have ati video cards.

They might ask you about the md5 check on the iso image you downloaded. They would also want to know hardware specs + the 3.4 mini you mentioned in 32bit or 64bit and stuff like that.

Best of luck.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed