Quake 1 troubles

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Quake 1 troubles

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:58

I've been trying to install Qauke 1 on my system and I've encountered some trouble in doing so. Here's what I did:

Code: Select all
# emerge quake1-data
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) games-fps/quake1-data-2.40 to /
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                      [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                     [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                    [ ok ]
>>> Unpacking source...
 * This ebuild will need the cdrom for quake1-data

* If you do not have the CD, but have the data files
 * mounted somewhere on your filesystem, just export
 * the variable CD_ROOT so that it points to the
 * directory containing the files.

* For example:
 * export CD_ROOT=/mnt/cdrom

* Found CD #1 root at /media/QUAKE106
>>> Unpacking resource.1 to /var/tmp/portage/games-fps/quake1-data-2.40/work
lha: invalid option -- q
usage: lha [-]<commands>[<options>] [-<options> ...] archive_file [file...]
  commands:  [axelvudmcpt]
  options:   [q[012]vnfto[567]dizg012e[w=<dir>|x=<pattern>]]
  long options: --system-kanji-code={euc,sjis,utf8,cap}
                --archive-kanji-code={euc,sjis,utf8,cap}
                --extract-broken-archive
                --help
                --version
 * ERROR: games-fps/quake1-data-2.40 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   46:  Called src_unpack
 *             environment, line 2322:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               lha xqf "${CDROM_ROOT}"/resource.1 || die "failure unpacking resource.1";
 *  The die message:
 *   failure unpacking resource.1
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/lib/entropy/logs/games-fps:quake1-data-2.40:20080204-184620.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/games-fps/quake1-data-2.40/temp/environment'.

Has anyone gotten Quake 1 to work that can help with this problem?
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Re: Quake 1 troubles

Postby RedBrain » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:45

Hey well instead of installing old boring quake lets do something a little more intereasting not sure if you have heard of quakeworld but its an awesome game

go http://nquake.com/ and download the linux version all you need is the pak1.pak from the origional quake 1 game and you can play through the game still and up the grfx reallly high some really nice effects in that package; plus if you need help go to #qwrookie #quakeworld in quakenet on irc and someone will def help you or probably best go #linux.qw where i usualy always am :D

hopefully you know how to install it just run the script in there and it will guide you through it
RedBrain
Baby Hen

Re: Quake 1 troubles

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Wed Feb 06, 2008 0:21

RedBrain wrote:Hey well instead of installing old boring quake lets do something a little more intereasting not sure if you have heard of quakeworld but its an awesome game

Thanks. I have heard of QuakeWorld and have been meaning to try it out for some time.

go http://nquake.com/ and download the linux version all you need is the pak1.pak from the origional quake 1 game and you can play through the game still and up the grfx reallly high some really nice effects in that package; plus if you need help go to #qwrookie #quakeworld in quakenet on irc and someone will def help you or probably best go #linux.qw where i usualy always am :D

Yeah, most source ports do add really nice effects, textures, etc.

hopefully you know how to install it just run the script in there and it will guide you through it

Thanks. I know how to run scripts. I just ran it and see it installed into my home folder. This is probably good because it's generally advised not to install this way (Gentoo and derived distro's use Portage, and is very crucial that we use Portage to install stuff otherwise updates to the system could cause major headaches, or worse lol). But since this is in a my local /home/username folder, I doubt it'll be a problem.

Thanks again!
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed