Cleanup Utility...

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 0:37

DontPanic wrote:The script is not too long, only about 16k/544 lines. I could post the entire script here (if that isn't too long), or I wouldn't mind putting it up on my server.

I was thinking of renaming my adapted version as: yaocleaner (Yet Another Orphaned Cleaner)

I modified the original header as follows (but I wasn't sure how to update Gentoo's Copyright, and I don't know the full name of the forum user who provided the patch):

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
#http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-337074-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html
# Copyright 2003-2005 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $
#
#     Yet Another (Orphaned) Cleaner tool for Gentoo/Sabayon
#
#     Adopted/Adapted from Gentoo's yacleaner
#
#     Based on discussion in the above forum topic, this useful tool
#     has been lacking attention by the original author, however,
#     forum users have posted patches that continue to provide functionality
#     for this script.
#
# Orignal Author:
#       Octavio Ruiz (Ta^3) <[email protected]>
# Parts of Code by:
#       Ed Catmur <[email protected]>
# Edited to incorporate user supplied patches by:
#       Mitchell Harder <mmharder at gmail.com>
# Modifications/Patches to i_dist() function Provided by:
#       GladRags (see above referenced forum discussion)
# Thanks:
#       Konstantin Shaposhnikov <[email protected]>
#       Thomas de Grenier de Latour <[email protected]>
#
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. YOU USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE AUTHOR
# WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DATA LOSS, DAMAGES, LOSS OF PROFITS OR ANY
# OTHER  KIND OF LOSS WHILE USING OR MISUSING THIS SOFTWARE.
# See the GNU General Public License for more details.

prog_name="yaocleaner"
prog_version="0.5beta-2"

Let me know what you think of this header, and I'll put this script out there for you to play with.

Actually, the copyright comment on the third line of your script above is where I get confused. Does the Gentoo Foundation own the copyright to the new parts of the script that you added? I think not. Perhaps you need to alter the third line to say sometihing along the lines of "The orginal script from the above-mentioned URL is copyright 2003-2005 Gentoo Foundation under the GNU GPL V2 licence", but probably even that also is not necessary and you could just delete that third line completely, having acknowledged the script's origin and the fact that it was released by the original author under the GNU GPL V2 licence.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby DontPanic » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:00

DarkSurf:

Your artwork is impressive. But right now, this is just a bash script, and it would be a waste of some very catchy artwork to apply it to this script. I'll probably go ahead and release it under yaocleaner.

If we ever go down the road of re-doing this as a gui-based app, then it would be more interesting to re-brand it as 'taocleaner', and slap some really keen artwork on it.

Fitzcarraldo:

I think you're right that it makes sense to drop the Gentoo Copyright text. I've wrestled with this issue on a prior Open Source project, and it's perfectly acceptable (and perhaps preferable) to both Copyright and attach a GPL to your work. However, by attaching the GPL, you're giving up many traditional protections of a copyright as long as the work derived from the original work also contains the GPL, and you release the derived work under the provisions of the GPL. But, as far as I know, there is no provision in the GPL that necessitates maintaining a Copyright trail.

So, I'm attaching the script with the modifications to the header as suggested. I've noticed that it's really hard to tell what the script is doing if you don't add '-v' to just about every usage.
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 22:42

Thanks DontPanic.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Cleanup Utility...

Postby tacvbo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:33

It's named yacleaner. Unfortunately, it seems to have been abandoned by it's developer (he seems to have left the gentoo scene).

It hurts to hear you say that, but maybe it's true.
tacvbo
Baby Hen

Re: Cleanup Utility...

Postby DontPanic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 19:20

tacvbo wrote:It hurts to hear you say that, but maybe it's true.

Hehe, I apologize if I was too presumptuous in my assumptions. Sometimes I draw too many conclusions just because a person isn't posting regularly to the forums. :)

Thanks for writing the original script. I still use it to clean out my portage residuals from time to time.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Previous

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions