Steam / Counter-strike source problem

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Steam / Counter-strike source problem

Postby g35x » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:41

Okay, so I used wine-doors to install steam, logged in, installed counter strike source via steam, when It was done downloading it said ready to play, so I click launch, it says preparing to launch game, then the preparing to launch game window dissappears and leaves me with the main steam window, and nothing else happens.

I've restarted after install, and tried a few times, so idk whats wrong
I'm wondering if its only source. I'm downloading 1.6 now to find out.
g35x
Baby Hen

Re: Steam / Counter-strike source problem

Postby Exospaciac » Sun Jan 20, 2008 15:13

I hate to revive such an old topic, but I am having the same problem; I cannot get any Steam apps to run at all.
Exospaciac
Simple Hen

Postby chaser » Sun Jan 20, 2008 17:46

Hi all,

I was experiencing the same problem and have been looking for a solution a couple of weeks long, and found the solution !
There are a couple of things that need to be updated to be sure that the solution will work.

Be aware that all systems have different packages installed and i am not very familiar with linux myself, for some updates i was helped by some very helpfull people in #sabayon on freenode.

As a first you need to have a updated version of Wine installed, at the time i am writing this i am running wine-0.9.51.
(to check your current wine version open a terminal and type: "wine --version")

I used wine-doors to install Steam and all the necessary fonts and such.

By the time i had these things installed i was able to start steam and install Counter Strike: Source and even Half-life2.
But when i started those games it showed a loading screen and after that it just disappeared and i was still on my desktop in steam like i never started the game.

The solution to this problem is to simply disable in-game community in steam's options, i guess this function will only work on windows systems.

I hope this will help some people with a similar problem, if not try to post as much information to the problem so that other people might be able to help with it.
You can start the game from terminal to get a detailed error.

Greets, Chaser
chaser
Baby Hen

Postby Exospaciac » Sun Jan 20, 2008 20:08

Thanks a bunch, that did the trick!
Exospaciac
Simple Hen

Postby stevencomerthornley » Tue Jan 22, 2008 21:27

chaser wrote:Hi all,

I was experiencing the same problem and have been looking for a solution a couple of weeks long, and found the solution !
There are a couple of things that need to be updated to be sure that the solution will work.

Be aware that all systems have different packages installed and i am not very familiar with linux myself, for some updates i was helped by some very helpfull people in #sabayon on freenode.

As a first you need to have a updated version of Wine installed, at the time i am writing this i am running wine-0.9.51.
(to check your current wine version open a terminal and type: "wine --version")

I used wine-doors to install Steam and all the necessary fonts and such.

By the time i had these things installed i was able to start steam and install Counter Strike: Source and even Half-life2.
But when i started those games it showed a loading screen and after that it just disappeared and i was still on my desktop in steam like i never started the game.

The solution to this problem is to simply disable in-game community in steam's options, i guess this function will only work on windows systems.

I hope this will help some people with a similar problem, if not try to post as much information to the problem so that other people might be able to help with it.
You can start the game from terminal to get a detailed error.

Greets, Chaser

haven't tried this, I will post if it worked for me
Dual boot XP/Sabayon64bit
amd64 4200+ x2
GeForce 7900GS 256MB
MSI K8N Neo4-F 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD MB
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 610W PSU
OCZ Platinum 2G DDR 400
Creative X-Fi / on board AC'97sound
4 hdd-->xp/multimedia/storage/linux
stevencomerthornley
Growing Hen