chown: `sabayonuser': invalid user

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:34

I have just done a fresh re-install of 3.4f after hosing my installation when trying various things with different versions of xorg-server, ati-drivers, xorg-x11 and so on. I'm getting the following error message when I try to enable AIGLX:

localhost fitzcarraldo # accel-manager
XGL is not running
DRI ok
OpenGL acceleration is available.
something set currentStatus to 0
DRI ok
fglrx driver is running, checking if driver supports GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
AIGLX is available :-)
DRI ok
something set currentStatus to 1
something set currentStatus to 1
Saving...
writeSettings(): accel to set is: 1
disabling xgl
Working...
Disabling XGL system wide (reverting to X.Org)...Done
disabling aiglx
Working...
Disabling AIGLX system wide...
Done
enabling aiglx
Working...
Enabling AIGLX system wide...
Done
bye!
localhost fitzcarraldo #

Why is SL trying to change the owner to 'sabayonuser'? I've installed to the HDD and my username is not 'sabayonuser', so what gives? Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: chown: `sabayonuser': invalid user

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 20:18

Nobody else seen this error message when using accel-manager?

Anyway, I've now completed the tortuous Python 2.4 to 2.5 update process for the Nth time, and emerged the latest version of compiz, compiz-fusion, fusion-icon, accel-manager and desktop-acceleration-helpers from the Portage repo and I still get this message. However, it does not stop AIGLX running and Compiz Fusion appears to be working OK.

Still, I'm curious to know what is causing that error message as it never happened in my previous installations of SL 3.4f. lynay? Anybody?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby DontPanic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 22:03

I do not get this error when I run accel-manager.

I am running kde-misc/accel-manager-1.4.1 on my 3.4f install.

For reference, I have no sabayonuser on my system (so I assume I would receive the error if it tried).

When you installed 3.4f, did you allow the install process to create a user 'sabayonuser' as the default user? This is the default option, but I always override this option during the install, so I never get a 'sabayonuser' on my installed version.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 14:02

Thanks for your reply, DontPanic. I am also running accel-manager-1.4.1 on my 3.4f install (which has since also had a lot of other packages merged or upgraded). The last times I installed 3.4f I did not have this problem, and I definitely did not allow the install process to create the user sabayonuser as the default user.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby hulkyboy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 21:42

Yes, I also get this with the new accel-manager. The user in my case, is one which does not exist at present, but may have in the past as I swapped over ids.
hulkyboy
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 22:06

I have just noticed that there is a directory /home/sabayonuser/ so looks like the user sabayonuser was created during the installation process, but certainly not by me. Is it safe to do a
Code: Select all
userdel sabayonuser
or would this break anything?

EDIT: I cannot find any user called sabayonuser via the Control Centre, and I cannot log-in as user sabayonuser, so I have my doubts userdel would do anything anyway. It appears that SL has somehow partially created the sabayonuser environment.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers