KnetworkManager won't start [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

KnetworkManager won't start [Solved]

Postby prestomation » Tue Jan 15, 2008 0:32

Hi everybody.

I just installed the miniCD of sabayon and I really like it so far. I just moved from gentoo because i spent too much time fiddling.

I'm having troubles getting my wireless to work. knetworkmanager is in the taskbar, but it says it is not running. How do I get it to start?

I have a bcm43xx card(dell) working with ndiswrapper. I can manually connect to my home's connection, so I know the card is functioning, but i would like the manager as I move around different networks here at school.

Thanks for all your help.
prestomation
Baby Hen

Re: KnetworkManager won't start

Postby xlnagla » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:06

knetworkmanager isn't necessarily NetworkManager, as you probably know - try re-emerging networkmanager, and tell us the output of iwconfig. Also, if you're dual-booting windows, boot into XP/Vista a couple of times - sometimes it will update your card and make it unavailable until a full Windows restart, which would explain why networkmanager isnt' seeing it. If none of these work, make sure the card worked with networkmanager on the liveCD again.

Cheers,
Xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby prestomation » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:46

My card works. I can manually connect to open networks and I can scan and see local networks, it's just that knetworkmanager doesn't work. I emerged networkmanager but NetworkManager appears to have no effect, and the tray icon is still dead.
prestomation
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:06

quite curious, if it never worked in the LiveCD either I'll have to look into this more - is the networkmanager daemon running at all (ps -A | grep network)if you want a quick alternative kill (or remove) networkmanager and knetworkmanager and just use kwifi for now... quite curious, I have to say. And I take it you're not dual-booting windows, so none of those related problems would apply.

~Xlnagla

EDIT: see if anything here helps: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=12278&p=70137&e=70137
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby prestomation » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:52

No, the live cd did not work. I run Networkmanager, and then i run knetworkmanager. Networkmanager appears to be running, it doesn't give me any feedback, is this normal behavior? The knetworkmanager tray icon spins for a sec, and then it says "No active device". Do I need to tell it what driver I'm using? I am using ndiswrapper, does that make a difference?

Thanks for all your help

Edit: That link you edited it points back to this thread, I don't think that was your intention :P
prestomation
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:03

yeah, no, i misplaced the link. meant that to go http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8933. May not be of any help, as it seems your card works, but the suggestions may help it work with networkmanager. Just running plain old networkmanager in the command line does indeed to absolutely nothing, except check that networkmanager itself is around and working. yes, you do need to tell networkmanager if your device isn't going to come up in the standard wireless device lists, which it usually won't with ndiswrapper. See if kwifi recognizes it, and then google around for how to configure networkmanager - I've never had to myself.

Hope this helps,
~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby prestomation » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:55

Hmm, i dunno what happened. I booted a ubuntu live cd, instaleld ndiswrapper on the live session, and nm-applet had my wifi working no problem. Back in sabayon, I emerged nm-applet(and it's gnome deps). Messed around a little..I rebooted, and now knetworkmanager just works! Thanks alot for your help
prestomation
Baby Hen

Re: KnetworkManager won't start [Solved]

Postby xlnagla » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:45

problem-solving's always good... guess it was a knetworkmanager specific thing. If you ever figure out why what you did worked, post it I guess.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless