Transferring Steam Doom 3 to Sabayon

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Transferring Steam Doom 3 to Sabayon

Postby 9a3eedi » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:19

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask this, but..

I bought Doom 3 off of steam. That means I'm supposed to have a valid license right?

Is there any way to move Doom 3 to linux so that I can play it there? Apparently Sabayon + Fluxbox has better performance than vista :p

While moving the pk4 files would probably work (I can obtain the pk4 files from the steam folder in Program Files), the problem is the license. Any ideas?
9a3eedi
Young Hen

Re: Transferring Steam Doom 3 to Sabayon

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:45

The license is with the login so login to steam in antartica + apple pc running something = license is there where the login is.
Different login + no doom on that acount = no play installed Doom in steam.

Files = used to have a backup option that makes 1 big file for dvd or just file backup.
Do this and then copy over to Linux partition and let steam extract and install it. Workes with new OS install in windows / mac / Linux as well + you don;t have to redownload it + steam knows what to do with the files / backup if needed.

Saved games = no clue how to get it over.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby andy_js » Sat Jan 12, 2008 13:09

I have successfully transfered my Steam Doom 3 to Native Linux.

I have instructions, but they are vague since I am away from my Linux box.

1. Somewhere in the Steamapps folder (afaik) there is a receipt or .ini file or something left by the Doom 3 installer.
(Have a look, I shouldn't been too hard to locate it.)

2. Open it up in your text editor. You should find some references to some registry keys. These registry keys will contain the serial number for your steam version of Doom 3. The registry entries will be hashed. I doubt you'd be able to locate them without this file.

3. Find these registry entires using 'regedit' and copy the serial number down to a piece of paper (you cant copy and paste it into the game.)

4. Launch the game and put the serial number in.

5. Kick some ass

You can also move the saves across, but I also cant remember where to put them. (I opened up my doom3 folder for WINE and compared it to my native one. After that it because clear where they went)

Sorry for the vagueness. At least you know its possible though (for Quake 4 as well!)
andy_js
Baby Hen

Postby 9a3eedi » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14

Thanks.. I'll try it out and see what I'll get..
9a3eedi
Young Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed