directory synchronization

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

directory synchronization

Postby apenguin » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:37

DirSync has produced a version for linux (free), but I think only for Red Hat. This program enables one to synchronize CD or DVD files with files on the hard disk.
Would it be possible to import this program into Sabayon?
Also, would it be possible to produce a powersave program for desktop computer hard disks (which turn off the hard disk after so many minutes? There appears to be a powersave program for laptop computers but I gather this is something different.
apenguin
Baby Hen

Re: directory synchronization

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Dec 24, 2007 20:36

Dirsync if it has source code then it should be able to be compiled or a bin package made of / ebuild.

Try the gentoo forums /wiki for possible hd sleep function / script I am sure there has to be one or suspend to ram.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: directory synchronization

Postby apenguin » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:31

Thanks. It would seem then that DirSync could be part of Sabayon. This was posted on one website:
DIRSYNC Directory Synchronizer DOWNLOAD
DirSync is a Directory Synchronizer. This utility take two arguments -- the source directory and the destination directory -- and recursively ensures that the two directories are identical. DirSync can be used to create incremental copies of large chunks of data. For example, if your file server's contents are in the directory /data, you can make a copy in a directory called /backup with the command "dirsync /data /backup."
The first time you run dirsync, all data will be copied. When you issue the command again, though, only the changed files are copied. Both source code and an executable for Win32 and Linux are included in the distribution. Also it is possible compile dirsync for MS-DOS environment with OpenWatcom. It's very simple to compile DirSync for other Unix-like systems, too. Because the program works in all Win32 environments, you can run it with WinNt, Win2K and WinXP.
This is at http://www.viara.cn/en/dirsync.htm .
More details are given at http://freshmeat.net/projects/dirsync/ , including how to contact the the developer, Mario Viara.
It is beyond me to follow the instructions. What I was suggesting is that this is such a useful program that it should be included in the next release of Sabayon, which I believe is the most promising linux distribution to replace Mircosoft. It has worked superbly on my computer.
apenguin
Baby Hen

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions