Linksys Open Source, Please Read

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Linksys Open Source, Please Read

Postby Gzus666 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:45

well, today i just noticed on Linksys' website, they have a contact email about open source. to cut to the chase, i sent them a long email about how the linux community could use our own drivers. if anyone has a spare moment, please send an email to them, please keep it civil and well thought out so they take it serious, showing that people in the linux community want this. if anyone sees any other makers sites with a similar contact, or a particular card manufacturer they would like the same from, please post it, and maybe we can actually get some support. :D [email protected] is the email. thanks for reading, i really love this distribution, and hope this can help us, and the linux community in general.
Gzus666
Baby Hen

Re: Linksys Open Source, Please Read

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 15:09

Please post the URL of the Linksys page so that we can see the context.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Gzus666 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 21:10

well, bad news is they dont accept requests on that email, like any good bureaucracy, they break it into 50 different sections. good news is, that email gives you the gpl code. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... 637401F166

there is the website its on. it appears they use open source for their stuff, so, i would think it would be perfectly legit if it was used to make linux drivers. hopefully someone can make something good of this, unfortunately my programming is limited to very basic C++, as im still learning, or i would try to make something of this myself.
Gzus666
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Dec 14, 2007 14:19

Yup linksys is a bunch of silly clowns LOL for a lack of a better word when it comes to opensource , also for the lifetime they support their own drivers / hardware is about 6months effectively then they well just don't care no more or there abouts. Likely would be the same for their opensource drivers as well.

Have you tried the supported by the developers type like openwrt , hyperwrt tomato or similar just google for "wrt linksys linux" as some of them covers more than just the actual routers.
Someone has mentioned that the drivers / firmware for the wrt types can be striped down to get the actual driver for the chipset of the linksys pci / usb / ?? cards chips and then used in linux via ?? modprobe or something similar.

Most of the linksys stuff uses generic chips as used by most wifi cards and could likely get past the driver isues with using another makers chips driver to get yours started if better supported.
Example the bcm43xx chips.

Have a looks at alternative drivers for the wifi think it is in the "hardware list" topic we tried to get working recently. Not sure how updated this list is below.

*Wifi network cards here is a list + how-to link*

Complete linux wifi card + driver list:
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_alles.php?

Alternative drivers for Wifi cards:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless