Support for New hyperspeed wireless?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Support for New hyperspeed wireless?

Postby soloingbastard » Wed Dec 05, 2007 20:43

Hey, i've been considering buying a new wireless card lately and i've noticed quite an uproar about new hyperspeed/rangemax wireless devices, seeming to offer things like

* Up to 10x faster coverage and speed compared to 802.11g
* Compatible with existing 802.11b, 802.11g and Super G Wireless devices
* Network range extended by up to 400 feet
* No need for range extenders, repeaters & external antennas
* High-speed connectivity anywhere in your house or office
* No more drop-outs, no more dead spots

Which, owning an atrociously bad Belkin F5D7050, seems pretty damn good. Howefver, they seem to need Windows to function, I was just wondering, to what extent if at all are these newer wifi-devices supported by Linux? would it make sense to buy one? or wait a few months/years until linux drivers have been developed???
thank-you.
soloingbastard
Young Hen

Re: Support for New hyperspeed wireless?

Postby momocore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:46

Are you looking at a USB connection or card?

you may need to emerge madwifi-ng, that contains a lot of support for what you're doing. That should point you in the right direction. My apologies, I'm not very familiar with wireless as I rarely use it.
momocore
Simple Hen

Postby dragon_788 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:46

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "hyperspeed wireless". If you are referring to 802.11n then yes it is faster than the previous 802.11 protocols and yes it is compatible with Sabayon. The trick is getting a supported card, since Intel has started supporting open source drivers I'm actually posting for an Intel 4965 AGN card at this moment. There may be other wireless N cards with support, otherwise you can always use ndiswrapper, although that's usually not the optimal solution. Keep in mind that since wireless N supposedly can reach 300mbps and the average transfer users of end to end N (with gigabit for LAN links) is 120-140mbps you may need to get a new router if you really want to fully utilize your newfound speed. But the bonus is wireless N cards do also get better range when connecting to legacy G and B networks as well, I've gone from 66% signal at a location to 90-100% in the same spot, as always though YMMV. This also works in part I think the other way, with a wireless N router it can send a G or B signal farther as well, the downside is the cards themselves usually end up limiting the range more than the router in that case.
dragon_788
Baby Hen

Postby momocore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 14:01

I think that the product description is from netgear's line of wireless cards, they implement MIMO. I agree, with dragon_788, you'd need to upgrade both your card and your router. Everyone I've known who's had a draft-n router has many problems with it. The speed may be there, but port forwarding, dmz, etc. has been a problem, thereby rendering the device useless
momocore
Simple Hen

Postby soloingbastard » Thu Dec 06, 2007 18:55

o.k. thanks a lot, has been v.helpfull.
Does anyone know of a good 802.11n usb wireless device which is 100% compatible with sabayon linux?
Also, quoting momocore
agree, with dragon_788, you'd need to upgrade both your card and your router. Everyone I've known who's had a draft-n router has many problems with it. The speed may be there, but port forwarding, dmz, etc. has been a problem, thereby rendering the device useless

Does this mean i should rather buy a 54MPS 802.11g usb adapter than a 802.11n adapter, if I know the router is going to stay the same for the time being?
thanks.
soloingbastard
Young Hen

Postby momocore » Thu Dec 06, 2007 19:22

Yes, it'd be a waste of time and money. No point in opening up the bandwith of the adapter if the bottleneck is going to be the router. It's like driving a racecar in an urban center. All that potential limited by stoplights.
momocore
Simple Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless