share problem

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

share problem

Postby gnjurac » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:17

hi,
i am trying to connect winXp and sabayon mini 3.0.24 comps and share files. in samba i made config for share. in winXp i can see the share but when trying to open it i get message ... is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource.
so please if someone can suggest the config procedure if i forgot something.

tnx
gnjurac
Baby Hen

Re: share problem

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Nov 22, 2007 17:25

There are several things you need to do to configure your Sabayon Linux PC to share on a Windows network. I'm not connected to my home network at the moment so cannot check, but it's basically along the following lines:

1. Use your favourite text editor to edit the file /etc/samba/smb.conf and specify: a) the existing name of the Windows Workgroup; b) a meaningful NETBIOS name for your Linux PC; c) permission to share certain files on the Linux PC; d) permission (or not) for other PCs on the network to print via the Linux PC (I think this is already set by default in the as-installed smb.conf, but cannot remember); e) the name and path of the shared directory on the Linux PC.
2. Create (if it does not already exist) a directory in your $HOME directory on the Linux PC which will contain files and sub-directories that are to be accessible by the Windows PCs on the network. For example, I decided to create a directory called SharedDocs, but you can call it whatever you want.
3. Right-click on the above-mentioned directory (SharedDocs, or whatever you called it), select 'Properties', and then click on 'Share' to configure file sharing (select 'Simple Sharing' unless you know what you're doing). On the 'Sharing' tab I recommend you do NOT tick 'Share this directory on the Web'
4. Click on the new icon (a globe with "Idle") that appears in the main Panel, select 'New Server' in the pop-up menu and specify the directory of the folder you wish to share and a server name (I used the netbios name I had given to the Linux PC).

Here are the changes I made to the /etc/samba/smb.conf in SL 3.4f:

Code: Select all
$ diff smb.conf smb.conf~
19c19
<    workgroup = MSHOME
---
>    workgroup = SABAYONDOMAIN
23c23
<   netbios name = ACER_TM
---
>   netbios name = localhost
417d416