question for ATI/AMD video card users (NOT flame or fanbait)

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

question for ATI/AMD video card users (NOT flame or fanbait)

Postby anomaly65 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 22:37

Hi all.

Long time linux/nvidia user, soon looking to upgrade entire machine (I'm on an *old* dually athlon 2.2Ghz with a 6800gt nvidia card).

The AGP port on the AMD 760mpx chipset "bites arse" to be polite, but the 6800 seems to tolerate it. I run twinview with dual 24"CRTs (yeah, they're darned heavy) each at a resolution of [email protected], and have had few if any complaints about stability, and capability, at least once nvidia got to 8x.xx of their linux drivers. (I'm memory bandwidth and AGP 4x speed starved, don't really play anything 3d but what I've tried works fine). Mine runs 24x7x[reboot for kernel upgrade] without any issues currently, but the hardware itself is getting old, and transcoding HD video makes me think seriously about building a quad core solution Q1-2008

Anyway, onto my actual question. Rumors say AMD/ATI/DAMMIT has been giving it a solid shot at delivering decent linux drivers for their recent cards.

How well is that working out?

and is there a serious and stable option for a "dual output" card to do something like twinview (which behaves like xinerama with additional bells/whistles) on two monitors. stability, and good border behavior between the screens are critical to me, and I insist on good 2d video.

Seriously, not trying to start a flame war or debate, I'm just curious to know if others out there have had good or troublesome issues with an ATI card in more recent times with a good solid dualheaded configuration. Rumors also say the 38xx series ATI/AMD cards will be sweet performance wise, and priced nicely, thus my interest.

Thanks for your comments and input.
Cheers,
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Re: question for ATI/AMD video card users (NOT flame or fanbait)

Postby anomaly65 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 17:38

wow, 43 reads and the silence is deafening.

No one out there running a dual headed ATI card in linux and can vote "yes/no" as to whether you like or dislike the setup and current generation of drivers for linux and support thereof?

Guess I'll just slink away for a while and hope someone buys a couple screens on black friday and can report back.

Cheers, and happy turkey day to those in the USofA
andy
--
Use handrails on stairs. A nasty fall face first changes your point of view quickly, and mine permanently :-)
anomaly65
Technological Hen

Re: question for ATI/AMD video card users (NOT flame or fanbait)

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Nov 21, 2007 20:24

Well we are not here to flame or nail you to a cross and burn you , we leave that to the pro's at other forums LMAO. :twisted:

Either way Ati is getting their act together even with windows and they are starting to produce graphics cards again + decent drivers.
I would have defaulted to ATI as first choice but seeing I had to go linux way back and knowing the previous issues with linux + ati drivers stuck to nvidia and was seriously impresssed with their cards / drivers.
Now both drivers is up to it or so I have read.

Moved to hardware as the 3d desktop is a bit more of software and specific to compiz / well 3d desktop stuff .
This sounds more hardware related.

PS> Welcome here.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware