Is IPv6 module installed on every machine?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Is IPv6 module installed on every machine?

Postby handy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:16

If I type lsmod | grep ipv6 in a terminal I get no result.
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist does not contain the following; blacklist-ipv6, there is not an ipv6 module in /etc/modules.d/ & /etc/modules.d/aliases has the relative IPv6 module line commented out...

I did non of the above?

I am posting to gain some clarification on whether Sabayon detects which protocol your ISP was using when you install it & sets your machine up accordingly?

Or,

Does the Sabayon (I'm currently using 3.4f) install automatically disable IPv6?

Or is there a great deal about the installation of IPv6 on a Linux distro' that I am completely unaware of? Which is of course quite possible... :-)
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Re: Is IPv6 module installed on every machine?

Postby handy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:06

Could someone who is running 3.4f please post me the results of the following terminal command?

lsmod | grep ipv6

Does anyone know if Sabayon is installed without IPv6 support by default?
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:47

It should be in the kernel but likey temporarily disabled as 99% of anyone on the internet can not yet make use of it unless their local lan / wan is ipv6 and then a router has to transcofigulate something it to ipv4 to connect to the internet unless you are on tier1 / cogentco / att / verizon international fibre link / OC96 or more , maybe tier2 isp's as well but not likely.

Mostly only university''s or web 2.0 has ipv6 active and working.
Ipv6 active on ipv4 based connection / network = slow down / backwards thingy to ipv4 and this translation is slowing it down.

New Zealand and possibly Australia should have most of their stuff ipv6'd already not sure.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby handy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:50

As mentioned in the first post, IPv6 does not appear to exist in Sabayon 3.4f (at least). It is not a module & not blacklisted, so if it was inside the kernel the lsmod | grep ipv6 command would give some feedback.

This is very interesting, because many people suffer IPv6 problems on the *ubuntus, because IPv6 is the default. So those affected have to wait for IPv6 to time out when it is talking to a new server before IPv4 kicks in & does its thing.

Some have trouble browsing the web with Firefox unless they do about:config & disable IPv6. & some have to disable IPv6 globally by blacklisting it, to get good internet performance.

So, you can see where I got my education about IPv6 as my other machine is currently running Kubuntu 7.10, & I have been dealing with the IPv6 problems since I first started with Ubuntu 5.10, they are not hard to deal with once you know how (how often is that the case with Linux distro's?)

So you may see why I am so interested in the approach that Sabayon has taken, which by the way I fully agree with because it saves new users from having to learn about the IPv6 stuff by default.

I guess if I had an IPv6 ISP connection then I would just have to make a new kernel for Sabayon to take advantage of the speed increase of IPv6 that I have heard rumors of, which really shouldn't be a problem, unless of course I changed some things I shouldn't have while I was at it! ;-)
handy
Simple Hen

Postby Herohtar » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:33

handy wrote:As mentioned in the first post, IPv6 does not appear to exist in Sabayon 3.4f (at least). It is not a module & not blacklisted, so if it was inside the kernel the lsmod | grep ipv6 command would give some feedback.

This is very interesting, because many people suffer IPv6 problems on the *ubuntus, because IPv6 is the default. So those affected have to wait for IPv6 to time out when it is talking to a new server before IPv4 kicks in & does its thing.

Some have trouble browsing the web with Firefox unless they do about:config & disable IPv6. & some have to disable IPv6 globally by blacklisting it, to get good internet performance.

So, you can see where I got my education about IPv6 as my other machine is currently running Kubuntu 7.10, & I have been dealing with the IPv6 problems since I first started with Ubuntu 5.10, they are not hard to deal with once you know how (how often is that the case with Linux distro's?)

So you may see why I am so interested in the approach that Sabayon has taken, which by the way I fully agree with because it saves new users from having to learn about the IPv6 stuff by default.

I guess if I had an IPv6 ISP connection then I would just have to make a new kernel for Sabayon to take advantage of the speed increase of IPv6 that I have heard rumors of, which really shouldn't be a problem, unless of course I changed some things I shouldn't have while I was at it! ;-)

I know this is a slightly old topic, but I just wanted to say, Sabayon 3.4f does come with IPv6 -- I just did a fresh install and it's there. In fact, I found this topic because I am trying to figure out how to disable it, as it's breaking my internet connection. :)
Herohtar
Baby Hen

Postby handy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:53

It was NOT installed on my 3.4f?!

Just add the line blacklist-ipv6 to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist then you have to reboot, (there are other ways but rebooting is the most reliable under these circumstances) & ipv6 is globally disabled.

After you have rebooted enter lsmod | grep ipv6 in a terminal, & you should receive no output, which says ipv6 is extinct on your box. :-)
handy
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:03

Do you get output when you enter lsmod grep | ipv6 in a terminal?

If you do then ipv6 is on your machine, if you don't then it aint!
handy
Simple Hen

Postby Herohtar » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:15

The result of running the lsmod command:
Code: Select all
herohtar@localhost ~ $ lsmod | grep ipv6
ipv6                  258052  12
Herohtar
Baby Hen

Postby handy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:56

Yep, you have ipv6!

Do the blacklist thing & the ipv6 module will not be loaded.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby Herohtar » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:17

handy wrote:Yep, you have ipv6!

Do the blacklist thing & the ipv6 module will not be loaded.

That doesn't work for me. :( I've seen several variants of what to put in the blacklist file, and I've tried all of them one-by-one, but none work...
blacklist-ipv6
blacklist -ipv6
blacklist ipv6

After rebooting lsmod | grep ipv6 still returns the same output. :?
Herohtar
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Networking and Wireless