Problem with freezing up in quake 3

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Problem with freezing up in quake 3

Postby jcer93705 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:55

Hey guys I have couple games on my computer, all works and does not freeze. I do have a problem with
quake 3. The first map works great, but second map sound freeze like skipping sound like when a cd
skips, and then computer freeze yet sound still skipping. It also do that when I load up urban terror
mod for quake 3. Anybody have this issue with sabayon? And yes I tried installing different point release
and still no go. Thank you
jcer93705
Baby Hen

Re: Problem with freezing up in quake 3

Postby jcer93705 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:28

I'm serprize nobody want to help me. Oh well anyways I installed the linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86 and well I ran the game
and it ran fine except there wasn't no sound. I can play maps and join server but no sound. So I enable the sound
like this.
echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo "quake3.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

And here is the guide that tell me what to do.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Quake_III_ ... _Territory

So anyways it did fixed my sound. But whenever I play a map or a server, system crash and sound sound like if its
skipping. So, and on that guide, enemy territory i have no issue, ofcourse i had no sound at first but i fixed that
with the commands. So its crazy both uses same engine. Now I made it easy buy doing those command, it give
my game sound, but it crashes. Any solution??????????
jcer93705
Baby Hen

Postby FrozenFox » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:07

To start, please don't assume that if no one responds, "no one wants to help" you.

Now then..

First, please give a few more details. Sabayon version? video card? how did you install it, from emerge or something you downloaded somewhere? My apologies, I don't have q3 itself (i have open arena and used to have q3 for windows a loooong time ago :P), so i don't know what some things are. also, if you didn't install via emerge, did you do it using sudo/root or not? this seems only slightly important, as it doesn't seem to make sense that some things would work and others would freeze if it were a permission problem, but it's worth asking anyway.

Next, please run your given game in konsole followed by > /home/YOURNAME/Desktop/errorstuff.txt or whatever you wish to call it. For instance, if youre running /usr/bin/et and your signin name is jack, then /usr/bin/et > /home/jack/Desktop/errorstuff.txt . When it freezes, hopefully whatever happened at the time of the crash (or perhaps even the cause of the crash itself) will be recorded in that text file. Noone has any clue what's causing your problems. Perhaps the info in that file can help, if it's recorded as I expect.

Lastly, the least likely answer from reading your posts.. if it didn't crash before the sound changes on a given map but does after like you seem to be saying, then ignore the rest of this post: If by "crashes" you mean your game freezes and the sound repeats over and over, I had a similar problem with UT04, but it happened a ways back when I was using Xlaunch and using ctrl+alt+f7 and ctrl+alt+f8 to switch between ut and my desktop windows alt+tab style.. it turned out to be a bug with the nvidia drivers. so, please, open nvidia-settings and under "X server information", please tell us what driver number you have. The newest ones fixed that issue for me, so perhaps if yours are old that could be why it "crashes".
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Postby pedrotski » Thu Nov 29, 2007 16:43

Hey.

Personally i use the windows quake version with cedega. BUT if you dont want to do that. may i suggest ioquake.

ioquake3 (icculus.org quake3) is a development effort to continue working on the Quake 3 engine, now that it has been opensourced by ID software. It also provides a free client for popular Quake 3 mods (eg: Urban Terror).

It includes many new features, bug fixes, and works on more operating systems and architectures than the original.

http://games.internode.on.net/filelist. ... tails=4829
pedrotski
Baby Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed