Built in ALSA??? [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Built in ALSA??? [Solved]

Postby Warbread » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:32

So, as you may now, I'm very new to Sabayon and fairly new to Gentoo, but have used other distros over the years. I'm still trying to get a handle on this "kernel compiling" thing, but am very willing to learn. What I'm trying to do right now is compile the ALSA drivers I downloaded from the alsa-project site so my ALC268 will work. The thing is, when I try to compile, it says that ALSA is built into the kernel. I read the gentoo-wiki about recompiling the kernel, and just got done recompiling after changing the make.conf. I took out "alsa" from the USE="" section (as well as some other things... it runs quick now!), but I'm still getting an error saying that ALSA is built in.

How do I take ALSA out of the kernel? Is there a better way to do this that I haven't found yet?
Warbread
Baby Hen

Re: Built in ALSA???

Postby wolfden » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:44

You have to recompile the kernel without alsa, removing the alsa from USE is not the solution. Follow the howto upgrade kernel guide in the wiki, but only use the relative information needed.

You should also be using the package manager for installing drivers/software
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Warbread » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:14

I understand what I have to do, what I'm asking is how to do it. My understanding from reading the kernel guide in the wiki is that USE determines what modules will be built into the kernel. I suppose I'm wrong in that, but I can't find where else I would tell the kernel not to compile with ALSA. The reason I need to compile the drivers and not use what is in the repos is that the ALC268 does not work out of the box with any supplied driver in any distro (Thus far, I've gone through Ubuntu 6.10, 7.04 and 7.10, FC 8, Puppy, DamnSmall, SuSE 10.3 and Sabayon 3.4). There is a fix for Ubuntu that involves recompiling ALSA and adding in a patch, and I'm trying to figure out a similar work around for Sabayon/Gentoo so us 268 owners can hear our OGGs! The first step in this, however, is removing ALSA from the kernel, and that's what I cannot find in the wiki.

So, if for nothing else than education, could someone throw me a bone here?
Warbread
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:20

like I said, use the upgrade kernel guide but only use the relevant information and than go in and uncheck alsa.

may also want to see:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Warbread » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:58

Ah... yes... It seems to be in that section titled "ALSA".

:oops:

Thanks. I got it now.
Warbread
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware