Strange freezing with Acer Aspire 5100/Turion64 [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Strange freezing with Acer Aspire 5100/Turion64 [Solved]

Postby Mr_Byte » Tue Oct 16, 2007 15:18

Hi all,

I've installed Sabayon 3.4 (32-bit) from the mini-CD. Everything is working, except for one strange problem, which I think is kernel config related.

The system will begin to boot, then at an undetermined point, it'll freeze, until I either hit a key or move the mouse.

This continues for the entire time the system runs.

I've also got XP and Ubuntu Feisty on the same system, all in 32-bit modes, and they are running fine.

Please, I've looked in the forums (searched for "freeze") and I can't find anything that seems like this issue. If there's a fix already out there, point me in the right direction.

If not, and you need info, I'll hand it over.

I'm in the middle of a kernel-recompile, I've set the preemption model to Voluntary and the timing to 250Mhz, as I think I recall seeing this behavior on a gentoo attempt where I used the max preempt option and 1000mhz.

Thanks for any help!!

Jeff
Last edited by Mr_Byte on Wed Oct 17, 2007 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire Flamethrower Lappy...
The 18-wheeled generator and I have parted ways...
Mr_Byte
Baby Hen

Re: Strange freezing with Acer Aspire 5100/Turion64

Postby Mr_Byte » Tue Oct 16, 2007 20:19

so far, none of the kernel stuff has helped. I'm still trying.
Mr_Byte
Baby Hen

Postby Mr_Byte » Wed Oct 17, 2007 16:34

Bump
Mr_Byte
Baby Hen

Postby Mr_Byte » Wed Oct 17, 2007 21:02

It seems that the 32bit versions of Sabayon don't play nice with 64bit processors.

Thanks for all the help...
Mr_Byte
Baby Hen

Re: Strange freezing with Acer Aspire 5100/Turion64 [Solved]

Postby jaykar » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:46

My Athlon 64 X2 4400+ is working just fine with 3.4f x32 so it must be something specific to either your cpu or other hardware
jaykar
Baby Hen

Postby Mr_Byte » Fri Oct 19, 2007 13:29

Dunno, I was shy of trying the 64bit version because of possible driver issues, but the 3.4f 64bit DVD is what it took.

I had checked MD5's on the ISO's prior to burning, and the lockups would start as soon as the kernel was booting. Weirdest thing I ever saw. My Ubuntu and XP are fine, Ive seen this on some other distros, can't remember now for sure what they were, except they were also Gentoo based.

But when I do a Gentoo install from a minimal CD, or using my ubuntu to host then boot into the Gento partition, all was fine.

It seems that this isn't too uncommon, I finally managed to hunt down a thread discussing weird hardware issues, and the guys that seems to have the same problem on 32bit switched to 64 and it went away.

I mean, if I dug into it I might find the problem, but I've been spoiled bu (K)Ubuntu, so I'm just glad that it Just Works now. Sabayon is wonderful, I like the control of a Gentoo distro, and now I'm just tweaking some odds and ends. (Like, getting hal-mounted drives in /media to have a desktop icon, like Ubuntu does...)

Jeff
Mr_Byte
Baby Hen

Postby fascist » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:56

I just had a similar problem with my Dell Vostro 1400 laptop trying to install 3.4mini. It was giving me a Kernel Panic, tried to kill the idle process when in debug mode. No indication in any other mode, just a blank screen. I initially thought it may be a DVD drive issue, but I tried another drive and same error. LiveCD did the same thing, FreeSpire worked (but I like Sabayon better) so I knew the hardware was okay.

The 64bit version is currently installing, so all looks good so far.

For those that may have a similar problem:
CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz)
RAM: 4GB
HDD: 250GB
VIDEO: nVidia 8400 (the mobile version)

I'm running 3.3b mini on my Compaq V2000 laptop and it's a dream (after FC7 corrupted the hdd). If 3.4mini works as well on the Dell, I'll be a happy camper.
fascist
Baby Hen

Postby fascist » Wed Nov 14, 2007 23:38

Okay, the install keeps hanging on file 42000 (part of ImageMagick). Hangs on text and GUI install. System still operating, installer just stops installing.

Still querying a faulty DVD drive.
fascist
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware