Gnome Crash

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Gnome Crash

Postby rchk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 19:23

Hi everyone. I would just like to say that Sabayon is fantastic. Great work! There seems to be a bug in Gnome though. In 3.4e when running Gnome, if NTP is enabled Gnome will crash at seemingly random times.

What happens is that the volume manager crashes, and then Gnome crashes and a console appears. It asks you to press ctrl-D to continue. When you do that it comes up with the same message over and over. To get out of that you have to switch to a different terminal and reboot. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.

It's not a big deal, I just don't use NTP. Just thought that I would see if anyone else was having this issue.

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHZ
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
2GB Corsair 1066 RAM
160GB Seagate 7200rpm

Kernel 2.6.22-sabayon #1 SMP
rchk
Baby Hen

Re: Gnome Crash

Postby bertho » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:13

Having the same issue here in 3.4e and 3.4f on two different setups - initially an AthlonXP 2600+, 1.2GB RAM, Shuttle MN31N mobo; now Athlon64X2 5000+, 2GB RAM, Biostar TF7050-M2 mobo. I ignored it with the old system figuring it was just my aging setup. It happened again on the new system and I blew it off because I was having other issues. I just reinstalled 3.4f on a freshly formatted partition and life was grand. Installed the latest nvidia-drivers (the ones on the DVD don't support the integrated graphics on my board), Opera, eix and the latest version of portage. Tweaked a couple things in the Compiz-Fusion settings. Other than that, it's a brand new install. If I try to enable ntp, the volume manager crashes and, yeah, what the OP said. Also, when it does reboot, the Gnome loading screen seems to hang at Nautilus for a long time. (It does eventually go away, and the system is usable while it's still on screen, but it's annoying).

Any info on how to get ntp working would be nice because I seem to have bad luck on getting motherboards that can keep accurate time... :(
bertho
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers