Cedega loosing it's sound?

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Cedega loosing it's sound?

Postby handy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:40

I am running Cedega 6.0.2, & since my recent install of Sabayon 3.4f, I have been loosing sound whilst using Cedega?

I have to emerge Cedega to solve the problem, which then in a day or two reoccurs?

Has anyone else had this problem?

It may well be a bug in Sabayon 3.4f, I had no problems with Cedega in 3.4a.
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Re: Cedega loosing it's sound?

Postby handy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:50

Yes it runs sound outside of Cedega, the problem is from my experience Cedega specific.

On-board sound m/board GA-K8NS Ultra-939 F10 with the most recent BIOS flash.
Ex Arch user (4.5 years), on the run from the Systemd Virus. Feeling relatively safe here for the time being...
handy
Simple Hen

Postby Dragons Tooth » Wed Nov 07, 2007 19:38

Maybe something is blocking sound when you are running games under Cedega. Did you tried command "/etc/init.d/alsasound restart" before running Cedega? If something is blocking sound it should unblock it for a current session :wink:
"After eating jackal's corpse you are mortally poisoned. You die at level 5 of dungeon"
<gasp> Not again! ;]
Dragons Tooth
Young Hen

Postby handy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 21:51

Thanks for your post :-)

I'll give it a try next opportunity & post the results.

It has not done it for a couple of days, so following the previous pattern it is about due for an episode.
handy
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:25

I used the command /etc/init.d/alsasound restart to no avail unfortunately.

This time I've lost all sound?!

I'll try restarting the box to see if that has any effect, then I'll stick another sound card in & see if that solves it.

I really don't feel like installing another version or different distro'...
handy
Simple Hen

Postby handy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:17

I replaced the PCI SBlive 5:1 with another lesser PCI SB card, which was not correctly identified by the machine. After rebooting the AlsaMixer gave me a different chip-set which was incorrect also.

Now, I appreciate that I could have given a better description initially for the hardware situation here. I use 2 sound cards, an onboard Realtek ALC 850 & the SBlive, which had stopped working long enough ago for me to just kind of forget it even existed, BUT it was still in the machine.

I currently have removed PCI sound & after a couple of reboots, AlsaMixer is seeing the correct chip-set & working.

I think that the problem has been caused by confusion over which sound chip to use, the onboard one that works & is wired up, & the other which doesn't as is not wired.

I expect to that if there is anymore sound failure's if I look at AlsaMixer that a non-existant chip-set has been allocated the sound handling for the system.

Hopefully with only the onboard sound existing in the machine now, I won't have anymore problems.

Still, it was interesting when this first started happening that Cedega did not work, & all else did?!

Ok, I think I understand what happened with Cedega, when it initialised the Alsa sound for itself it chose the wrong card, easy. :-)
handy
Simple Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed