Firefox instantly closing???

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Firefox instantly closing???

Postby Kulluminatii » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:41

When trying to load the online Java based game Runescape, Firefox closes automatically without any sort of warning or error message. While using Firefox for everything else, Firefox works perfectly. I've looked under the settings and have Java and JavaScript enabled. Anything else I need to do?
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Re: Firefox instantly closing???

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:35

Have you tried running Firefox from a Terminal window to see if any error messages are displayed when it crashes?

Are you running SL 3.4f x86 or SL 3.4f x86-64?

Have you tried using Konqueror instead of Firefox?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Kulluminatii » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:46

I am running SL 3.4f x86-64

I have tried Konqueror, but it seems much slower then Firefox.

And how would I go about running Firefox from a Terminal window?

I am thinking that I need to install java runtime environment, but Im having problems doing that as well.

*EDIT* Trying to load Runescape on Konqueror, nothing is showing so far...

*EDIT #2* I changed the default applet that Runescape used to SUN Java, and Runescape works perfectly on Konqueror. I still want to try and make it work with Firefox though, I guess Im too used to FF to change to any other browser :)
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:07

You launch a Terminal session by clicking on K Menu and selecting the appropriate entry in the menu. I'm on Ubuntu at the moment, so can't tell you the precise words. When the Terminal window is open, you would just type firefox at the prompt (or maybe it's mozilla-firefox). The Firefox browser window would then open and the Terminal window will stay open. When Firefox crashes you may get some messages appearing in the Terminal window. I assume you're running the 32-bit version of Firefox, as there is not even a Sun Java plug-in for the 64-bit version of Firefox?

Regarding setting up the JRE, search for "Sun" in Kuroo or Portato and you should see the Sun JDK (or whatever it's called) which includes the JRE. Just emerge that. Then configure Konqueror to point to the Sun Java binary:

1. Launch Konqueror.

2. Settings > Configure Konqueror...

3. Click on "Java & JavaScript" in the left-hand scrolling menu of icons.

4. In the box next to "Path to Java executable, or 'Java':" enter something like the following (will depend on what you just emerged, so have a look in the /opt/ directory to find it):
/opt/sun-jre-6u1-linux-amd64/jre1.6.0_01/bin/java

Can't give you the precise path in Step 4 because I'm on an Ubuntu PC at the moment. But it works fine for me using SL x86-64.

EDIT: Don't be fooled by the example I gave above into thinking that you'll necessarily find "sun-jre-6u...", as I installed the JRE outside of Portage many moons ago before the ebuild for the latest JDK was in Portage and I just pulled the above example from an old post of mine in the SL Forum. It might be "sun-jdk-something or other". The last time I did this, I did it the proper way, i.e. emerged the JDK from Portage and entered the path to the binary in Konqueror as explained above.

EDIT2: Just found another old post of mine which gives the path the last time I did it:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11008&p=63669&hilit=firefox+konqueror+sun+java#p64241
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Kulluminatii » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:22

Thank you very much for all the help. Im on WIn XP at the moment, but as soon as Im finished doing what Im doing, I'll be sure to try out what you told me.
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:25

Just to reiterate: 64-bit Firefox has no Sun Java Plugin. There is a really old 64-bit JRE from Blackdown, but it's next to useless with 64-bit Firefox so don't waste your time. Emerge the latest Sun JDK and configure Konqueror the way I described above and you should be able to look at all the latest Java apps.

In my case, I had to do the following as root to install the 64-bit Blackdown Java Runtime Environment for 64-bit Firefox under SL 3.4 loop 2b:

Code: Select all
# cd /usr/lib/MozillaFirefox/plugins
# ln -s /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

("Enable JavaScript" and "Enable Java" were already ticked in Firefox's Edit > Preferences)

Many, but not all, java applets cause 64-bit Firefox with the Blackdown 64-bit JRE plugin to crash, though. It's about time Sun or Mozilla brought out a 64-bit jre plugin for Firefox.

Another thing you could try is to:

emerge -C mozilla-firefox
emerge mozilla-firefox-bin

Have not done it myself, but I understand this might work.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Kulluminatii » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:07

Thanks once again man, Konqueror works without doing anything, all I need to do is try out the stuff that you told me to do and pray that FireFox works.
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Postby Kulluminatii » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:01

Well Im on SL right now, and Im trying out the code you gave me

# ln -s /opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/plugin/amd64/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

The first code gave me the "No such file or directory" error.

The second one seems like it worked, I did not get an error or anything.

Then I tried this
emerge -C mozilla-firefox
emerge mozilla-firefox-bin

Yeah, they both worked, giving tons of lines of code. Im going to close firefox and re open and see if anything happened with the 3 lines of code you gave me. I just want to thank you again for all the help you've given me :P , hopefully it works.
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 10, 2007 23:23

You've got to know a little about Linux otherwise you're going to break your installation. The two commands:

are needed to both work, i.e. the second depends on the first. If the first does not work, you should not do the second (in this case, and as a general rule!).

To fix what you did, cd into the directory that you were in when you issued the second command, and delete the symlink that you created by executing the second command, thus:

# rm libjavaplugin_oji.so

I recommend you pick up a copy of the two following pocket books:

Linux Pocket Guide by Daniel J. Barrett published by O'Reilly
Linux Phrasebook by Scott Granneman published by Developer's Library

They're both widely available and not expensive (even cheaper on Amazon), and are a good investment.

Anyway, I hope everything is now working.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Kulluminatii » Sun Nov 11, 2007 0:05

Well I used Portage to re-install FF, logged out and logged back in and FireFox is working again, but Runescape is still not working. Its odd, the game loads and everything, but as soon as I try to log in it closes. Guess I do need to buy some books :? .
Kulluminatii
Young Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless