Wifi on Toshiba Satellite A215

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Wifi on Toshiba Satellite A215

Postby karlb8 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:29

Hi. I am trying to configure my wifi on a Toshiba Satellite A215 using Linux 2.6.22-sabayon x86_64. I am able to see wireless networks and the connection looks strong, but I never receive an IP address. It looks like it's trying to use the same device for both wifi and wired connections. I am unsure of exactly what model wifi card I have as I am unsure exactly where to find that information within kde. Any helpful scripts/commands to get this information would be greatly appreciated.

thx.
karlb8
Baby Hen

Re: Wifi on Toshiba Satellite A215

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:10

# lspci

using net-setup as root in terminal:
# su
passwd:
# net-setup

Follow the instructions and add wep / wpa under the encryption part and possibly use HEX for text numbers / text pass key.

Type ifconfig and it should work.

Alternatively:
If you have Sabayonlinux then next to time to right is a white square box with red x in it = knetworkmanager and right click this = available networks or other and click + add pass keys is encryption say wpa2 + automatic and it connects.

Bug = if the noise is same or more than the signal from the wifi router / sendign device = no connection / failed connection.
28% = wep / wpa / wpa2 , 80% = dhcp , 100% = connected so this will give you an idea where the bug lies. This all can have issues if the signal is too weak / "noise versus sginal" or too far away = same problems.

If 50% to 75% in windows then it would be half of that in linux in general via ndiswrapper or firmware / normal stuff not sure why even if it shows 91% the current measuring part of knetowrkmanager / ??? does not compensate for bad signal and shows a fake reading not real reading.

kwifi should give you a fearly good reading just play around with it.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware