I am so confused and lost please help

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

I am so confused and lost please help

Postby toothpix » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:12

So I am new to Linux and I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I just installed sabayon 3.4e and I am having problems getting my wireless connection to work. I found this link, http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... th_Sabayon and, I think this is what what i am supposed to do to fix my problem the thing is that I dont know what its telling me to do. Is there anyone who can translate this for me or tell me (preferably in newbie terms) how to fix my problem, my wireless info is below. thanks in advance for any help.

wireless card: Broadcom corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g wireless lan controler
toothpix
Baby Hen

Re: I am so confused and lost please help

Postby momocore » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:39

There are many more seasoned individuals out there than myself, but my best suggestion is to dive in, don't be afraid to learn, and, also, don't be afraid of trashing your system. The first thing with Linux is to learn some basic commands in the terminal.

Sabayon is primarily a KDE distribution, though you can install GNOME if you wish... that's up to you. Each are different in their own regards and really its up to the user to decide. Stick with the defaults for now. The commands in the wiki are strictly for the terminal, so open up konsole -- should be in the favorites section of the menu bar, and follow them closely. Your first step should be to enter root user mode. type:

su

then enter the root password (you set this up at the time of installation).

I do recommend you become somewhat familar with portage, the package-manager that Sabayon and Gentoo employ. This is primarily what the first set of commands do. They query the server for a set of packages or applications, download and compile them on your machine. it may look intimidating, but try the commands out and see if your wi-fi works. Again, don't be afraid. The worst case scenario is a clean re-install, but I'm guessing you don't have a lot of critical data stored on that partition yet, so it shouldn't be a hastle.

Good luck!
momocore
Simple Hen

Re: I am so confused and lost please help

Postby songbirdx » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:00

I was going to suggest typing in - BCM4306 linux ndiswrapper - into Google. However, I gotta tell you, I have had nothing but trouble with SabyGONE. In my mind, all...ALL, your problems will be solved with the latest Linux Mint 4.0 Daryan KDE/Gnome or PCLinuxOS 2007.

songbirdx
songbirdx
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless