Can't connect to wireless

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Can't connect to wireless

Postby minet123 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:05

I am completely new to Linux.I just got a live CD in a Linux magazine I booted it live and tried to connect through a wireless connection
I have the sabayon 3.4e cd on a
Dell 1501 with a Dell 1490 dual band wlan mini-card
chipset bcm4312
bcm2050
(whatever any of that means)
I open the network manger and it shows all the same wireless networks I usually see with winBlows It shows my network I click on it it ask me my wep key I enter it as normal and it NEVER connects
what should I do
Please I have checked out the forum and have no clue what this "kernel" stuff and typing in commands is :oops:
Is there anyway easy to fix this
minet123
Baby Hen

Re: Can't connect to wireless

Postby ncurrie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:22

Well, let's see. First, what kind of router are you trying to connect to. Because I have tried to connect to a linksys router that was WEP protected, and I couldn't connect either. But it connects to any router that is not security enabled. Maybe that is the better question. Why can't our Sabayon Linux boxes connect to security enabled devices. Also, I hard lined in to the network at my job. KNetworkManager connects to the network just fine. I get a valid IP address and subnet. I can ping everything in the shop, but I can't receive internet access. Seems a little weird to me. Feel free to post if you have the same issue, maybe one of us will find an answer somewhere...
Last edited by ncurrie on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44, edited 1 time in total.
ncurrie
Baby Hen

Postby rand.a » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:15

I blame networkmanager. I use a linksys AP with WPA and it works just fine, but then again I dont use networkmanager.
rand.a
Growing Hen

Postby ncurrie » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:43

Well convict, what program do you use that keeps you from having this trouble? Please, enlighten us.
ncurrie
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless