CF running on Sab3.1?

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

CF running on Sab3.1?

Postby 2ny » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:25

Hi, everyone!

You probably will not believe this, but after month's of unsuccessful installations - every new version being worse than the previous, I just managed to install 3.1 x86 DVD and it has performed very nicely all evening.

I've checked, and there is no Compiz nothing installed from default, so will it be safe to emerge compiz-fusion at this moment? It shouldn't disturb anything?

What is the command to use - if I emerge compiz fusion, will I be having all the components? Or should I emerge compiz, which has lots more modules listed?

If I do this, should I remove any of the Beryl and Emerald stuff first?

I am sorry if this has been debated, but I have been seriously out of time and I am not up to date with the goings on here. Please, bare with me!

Tony. . .
2ny
Simple Hen

Re: CF running on Sab3.1?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:46

I'm not sure whether anyone would want to bare with you, but I think we can bear with you. :wink:

Re the Compiz Fusion, you could give wolfden's method for PE 1.1 a try:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=11126#p64319

I'm not running PE, but it worked for me.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby 2ny » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:58

Thanks, Fitzcarraldo - I have given this careful thought but decided it didn't completely apply to my situation. If I'm correct, PE isn't configured to start with the accelerated desktop (?) while 3.1 is.

In the end, I tried re-installing 3.4f and suddenly, after months of worries, IT WORKS!

The only exception is I cannot run my lovely xscreensaver in random mode - I can find a module that behaves and run that one only - or, as I've chosen, run it from the KDE Control Center. It is not completely satisfactory, but it works for now. In extension to this I'd like to hear if someone has managed to run Electricsheep with Sab3.4f+KDE+Compiz-Fusion, and no issues? I could live with that!

Tony. . .
2ny
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Nov 05, 2007 15:30

2ny wrote:I have given this careful thought but decided it didn't completely apply to my situation. If I'm correct, PE isn't configured to start with the accelerated desktop (?) while 3.1 is.

As I mentioned in my previous post, It didn't apply to me either. But it still worked! I have a (heavily upgraded) SL x86-64 3.4 Loop 2b, which also was configured to start with the accelerated desktop (XGL). I just followed wolfden's instructions for installing Compiz Fusion under PE 1.1 and it worked fine. I've now got the latest official version of Compiz and Compiz Fusion (as opposed to the 9999 development version) installed and working smoothly with AIGLX on my laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU. It's more stable than when I was running CF under XGL. The only problem I have found is that video playback flickers. Hopefully the next release of the ATI driver will fix that.

Anyway, good to hear that you got 3.4f up and running in the end.

EDIT: Work-around at the moment for the flickering video under Compiz Fusion is to right-click on the Compiz Fusion icon and select KWin or Metacity window manager to watch a video, then switch back to Compiz Fusion when you've finished. Hopefully the next versions of Compiz Fusion and the ATI driver will fix this.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers