Everex laptop

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Everex laptop

Postby eshum » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27

I am considering the purchase of a Everex laptop with a Via C7-m (Esther) processor, S3 chrome-9 video chip, 15.4 display and ethernet, usb etc.etc. I would be installing Sabayon 3.4f on it so would get the optional 2gigs of memory. Anybody here have any experince with a Everex laptop and Via cpu? should I expect serious problems? note- 3d acceleration will not be activated or expected by this user.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Re: Everex laptop

Postby wolfden » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:30

Running Gentoo on a Everex stepnote SA2050T. VERY linux unfriendly laptop. All live CD's lock up with it because of a couple of modules. The simple Gentoo install method made it possible for me to work around the problems and compile a custom kernel. It runs way better than the Windows MCE that was on it by default even after I optimized it. Gentoo flies on it. Everything works except suspend to ram and the memory card reader.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-56 ... rt-25.html

do a search on gentoo forum for everex will show a few threads.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Everex laptop

Postby eshum » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:30

Thanks for the reply Everex does have several models available with Ubuntu Linux installed. I prefer Sabayon so I might forgo the Via processor and go with the amd turion 64 x2 processor and 17" screen and nvidia 7600 video card might be a little easier to install Sabayon.

ed
eshum
Technological Hen

Return to Hardware