Some games are not loading

A place where Linux Gamers can share their experience and help each other with Linux Games, native or emulated ;)

Moderator: Moderators

Some games are not loading

Postby kaen » Fri Nov 02, 2007 16:01

Some of the games on SL are not loading and when I try to load them the screen comes back to the login screen
kaen
Baby Hen

Re: Some games are not loading

Postby FrozenFox » Fri Nov 02, 2007 18:54

A little information would be helpful:

1) Nvidia or Ati card? Based on the error, I'm assuming ATI. If Ati, you may have to redirect some of the games to another session, which we can show you how to do easily. Or, IF you are not on the livecd and it's actually installed, you can install the newest ATI drivers which have aiglx support and will fix this issue. Are you on the livecd or installed? If installed, did the games work on the livecd?

2) Open konsole, type glxinfo and give us the results. Most important, what do lines 3 and 4 or so say (the direct rendering and video card stuff)? If it says direct rendering is disabled, that would be your problem. You may also want to try glxgears next, and see if it brings up a window with the 3 gears.

3) Is compiz fusion (all the effects) working? If it is, turn it off by right clicking its blue icon in the system tray, and selecting a non-compiz window manager, pref. kwin. Games will often lag with fusion going, sometimes not run at all (but rarely is this the case).
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Postby kaen » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:18

Thanks for your reply

But my graphic card is Nvidia and I am running SL on livecd. Also is is not installed. Where do I type the words you mention? (I am new to Linux :oops: )

Thankyou for your help
kaen
Baby Hen

Postby Dragons Tooth » Sun Nov 04, 2007 13:04

Use combination alt + F2, then type konsole and you will see a terminal. Then type what you want ;) Also you can find konsole in start menu---> system

Edit: I almost forgot. I had the same problem when I was running Warcraft 3 from Desktop. If it is a Windows game, try to run it as a root with -opengl flag :wink:
"After eating jackal's corpse you are mortally poisoned. You die at level 5 of dungeon"
<gasp> Not again! ;]
Dragons Tooth
Young Hen

Postby FrozenFox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 14:28

He says he is running from the livecd, so i don't think he would be running a windows game in wine hehe

In any case, yes, follow as the above post suggests, open konsole, and type in what i suggested in my earlier post (#2) and answer #3 if you can. It would likely be helpful in figuring out your problem. If you're still confused, post back please. :)
FrozenFox
Simple Hen

Return to The Gamers Shed