Raid + gentoo / SL info here.

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Raid + gentoo / SL info here.

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Oct 30, 2007 16:55

Just thought I would try to get a hang on this hardware raid0 + software raid or LVM etc etc seeing I have time to play around with it.

Found a few interesting links that can be converted into guides for the wiki or similar but might need a bit of updating.

Raid in general:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Ins ... tware_RAID

HOWTO Gentoo Install on Software RAID mirror and LVM2 on top of RAID:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Ins ... op_of_RAID

Had a few issues getting my hardware raid0 to be recognized in 3.4F as it only sees the disks and not the actual raid partition on it but even gparted does not want to edit them or create a LVM on top of it or I just stuffed up LOL. "Limited to 1 hd ?? "
Then trying to erase the whole raid / 2 hd's using the sil3132 boot utility and then set it in SL = aarrgghhh.

Hopefully this guides above would take the clown out of my Raid as man it would be sweet to have a dual ext3 / ntfs raid0 with SL running of the ext3 via addonics express34 raid5 card + external raid0 hd's.

Will update it as I go along.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: Raid + gentoo / SL info here.

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 17:30

Using cfdisk made the hd's = FD for both hd's / created partitions + cloned hd's then md1 and m2 etc.

Gparted or the disk util in SL installer seems to have diffuculty in seeing the raided / md2 partitions especially when it comes to the boot partition so will have to manually create 1 /boot as default boot then raided swap / raided root partition with both hd's being cloned yet no md1 raid for /boot only for other partitions waisting 1 /boot on 2nd hd.

This looks like it could do the trick. Did not yet have enough time to experiment / do a proper job about this.

Ext3 is just barely slower than Refs type but nothing worth calling home about 0.27MB/s diffs.

Surprising performance is at 120.37MB/s as it should be and not slower with lvm on top of raided md3 as I supposed it would be. (2x60MB/s sustained over 2x400gb disk's)
Doing the LVM it is limited to 1 hd size if not on raid or something weard will have to check , partitions in LVM ontop of raid0 is limited to 260gb size max likely I stuffed up LMAO.

Dell E1705 laptop core duo t2600 2.16ghz , nvidia7950gtx 512mb , 2gb 667mhz 7200rpm Seagate 160gb 54MB/s + external Sans Digital via 2 Esata from Addonics SIL3132 raid5 express card using 2x wd4000kd's.

Edit: This one looks interesting as well.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86 ... nstall.xml
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware