Need help on broadcom Supr newbie willing to learn { Solved

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Need help on broadcom Supr newbie willing to learn { Solved

Postby hisham » Fri Oct 26, 2007 17:16

Hey guys,
just installed Sabayon 3.4f i 'm quite satisfied with it

It just that i couldn't have a wireless network i read few forms need a ndiswrapper i download vr 1.48 and that's it, i dunnoe how to install really newbie in linux.

Can any1 help me to solve this problem as i getting to know linux wouldn't be using windows much

I have a integrated wireless chip BroadCom

How do i install ndiswrapper and broadcom to make this happen???

Thnk in adv
for the kind soul who willing to teach me

Cheers :mrgreen:
hisham
Baby Hen

Re: Need help on broadcom Supr newbie willing to learn

Postby Dark_MaGe » Fri Oct 26, 2007 19:01

there's a good howto on our wiki to make things work on ndiswrapper
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby hisham » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:44

still blur folow step by step still cant worked the wireless thingy.

Can any1 teach step by step? kinda blur .. Ndiswrapper i have download but whats the cmd to install it? i place it on my desktop, then what the next step to install the broadcom driver??
hisham
Baby Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:17

1) get your windows driver and copy them in a place you might easily find
2)open a rootshell
3)write cd /writeherethefolderwhereyoucopiedthefiles
4) ndiswrapper -i thefile.inf
5) ndiswrapper -m
6) modprobe ndiswrapper && echo "ndiswrapper" /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

if for any reason this shouldn't work and ndiswrapper -l shows the drivers like (installed hardware present) look inside your dmesg, you should find the answer for not loading the drivers

P.S. IF you're using 64 bit REMEMBER TO GET WINDOWS 64 BIT DRIVERS!!!!!
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Postby WarraWarra » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:41

If you have a broadcom wifi then next to time top right of screen is a small white square with red x on it "knetworkmanager" right click select wifi network and connect using no encryption / wpa / wep etc.
Some laptops will have to have the wifi switch / button activated or using modprobe -r bcm43xx and then modprobe bcm43xx should unload / reload the wifi module and the green wifi light should come on on most laptops with 1st or 3rd modprobe like above.

If the signal/noise ratio is bad then the same pc / laptop will not connect using linux wifi drivers / ndiswrapper + windows *.inf = not compensating enough as compared to windows on that same pc / laptop for a weak signal.

To check noise/signal:
Run KWIFI and there is a option to show noise then show ?? signal graph / noise graph , this should show red line / blue line and if noise is same or more that signal = no connect or weak / slow internet speeds.

Also check the channels as 4 or 9 seems to work better and can be set inside the wifi router / modem.

If all else fails and you need to get the ndiswrapper + windows .inf see the "before 3.4e ipw3945 ...." sticky on top of the networking part of the forum as there is as much info + links + dell 1390 / bcm4311mcg drivers if that link still works to get you started.

Gentoo / SL = based on gentoo so if it works for the same card / parts as in your computer in gentoo then it will work in Sabayon / SL.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby hisham » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:44

Dark_MaGe wrote:Post

Hey dude follow your steps i done the installation

localhost ndiswrapper-1.48 # modprobe ndiswrapper && echo "ndiswrapper" /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
ndiswrapper /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
localhost ndiswrapper-1.48 # ndiswrapper -l
bcmwl5 : invalid driver!
bcmwl6 : invalid driver!
inffile : invalid driver!

Any1 can help?
Thanks in advance
hisham
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:21

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
seems to be missing from your's or the actual something.inf or purpleelephants.inf like above obviously replacing with correct one / name.

The files for windows drivers should be ???.inf , ????.cat , ?????.sys as all 3 with corrected names is needed maybe another file as well.

See post viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8933

Code: Select all
cd /home/elvis/Desktop/DRIVER
ls
ndiswrapper --help
ndiswrapper -m
ndiswrapper -l
modprobe ndiswrapper
NOTE: I had to 5 times : " modprobe ndiswrapper" , then 3 times "modprobe -r ndiswrapper" then 3 times again "modprobe ndiswrapper" not sure why but this time the wifi light went on and iwconfig showed wlan0 like it should.
net-setup
ifconfig
iwconfig

The above =
cd = change directory to folder where drivers is.
ls = list files in directory same as windows dir.
ndiswrapper --help to list all options that can be used with ndiswrapper.
ndiswrapper -i MonkeysInATree.inf will install the actual driver.
ndiswrapper -l or -m , -l = list available installed drivers or if installed driver is compatable with the hardware you have.
-m = ?? set as module or load as module not sure here.
then to load ndiswrapper use , modrpobe ndiswrapper or unload it using modprobe -r ndiswrapper.

Make sure the current loaded modules / firmware not ndiswrapper related is rmmod'd / removed / unloaded as ndiswrapper takes ?? second place to firmware loaded modules for wireless.
More than this no one can help you except yourself + reading / googling.

Right click knetworkmanager also works and then select wifi network and surf the internet provided the signal is strong enough above the noise level.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby hisham » Sun Oct 28, 2007 14:21

WarraWarra wrote:ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
seems to be missing from your's or the actual something.inf or purpleelephants.inf like above obviously replacing with correct one / name.

The files for windows drivers should be ???.inf , ????.cat , ?????.sys as all 3 with corrected names is needed maybe another file as well.

See post viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8933

Code: Select all
cd /home/elvis/Desktop/DRIVER
ls
ndiswrapper --help
ndiswrapper -m
ndiswrapper -l
modprobe ndiswrapper
NOTE: I had to 5 times : " modprobe ndiswrapper" , then 3 times "modprobe -r ndiswrapper" then 3 times again "modprobe ndiswrapper" not sure why but this time the wifi light went on and iwconfig showed wlan0 like it should.
net-setup
ifconfig
iwconfig

The above =
cd = change directory to folder where drivers is.
ls = list files in directory same as windows dir.
ndiswrapper --help to list all options that can be used with ndiswrapper.
ndiswrapper -i MonkeysInATree.inf will install the actual driver.
ndiswrapper -l or -m , -l = list available installed drivers or if installed driver is compatable with the hardware you have.
-m = ?? set as module or load as module not sure here.
then to load ndiswrapper use , modrpobe ndiswrapper or unload it using modprobe -r ndiswrapper.

Make sure the current loaded modules / firmware not ndiswrapper related is rmmod'd / removed / unloaded as ndiswrapper takes ?? second place to firmware loaded modules for wireless.
More than this no one can help you except yourself + reading / googling.

Right click knetworkmanager also works and then select wifi network and surf the internet provided the signal is strong enough above the noise level.

Thanks for the info.

And now the driver is shown Driver is installed!!! Thanks!!! Weee
Now the problem is when i slide ON the Wireless LAN i go to Knetwork there's only Wired Connection. The next thing is that how can i connect to a proxy server? as my school have a proxy connection in order to have WLAN internet.

ESSID : TP
address : proxy.tp.edu.sg

Thanks for your patience and the help till this stage "WarraWarra" :D ! just this last bit of probs and i'm happy wif sabayon linux will continue more learning !! :alien:
hisham
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51

Just check to see if the ndiswrapper module is loaded.

# lsmod
Should see ndiswrapper 28345 or something like this = good
if any bcm43xx or ieeesoftmac is there it might be blocking ndiswrapper from working not sure but bcm43xx should be unloaded if there. First only remove bcm43xx and see if anything shows up.

To unload a loaded module:
# modprobe -r bcm43xx

Then give knetworkmanager 1 to 2 mins to pickup the wifi connections in the area.
If still nothing then try
# net-setup
This should configure the wifi but not yet the proxy + you can set encryption + possibly hex + password to connect.

Proxy = no clue could likely do it in kde control panel under possibly netwroking part not sure about proxy.
Check the wiki top right of this page or gentoo.org forums / wiki if you can not find anything proxy related in the forums here / website.

Hope this helps.

OIn my laptop the wifi light has to be on and possibly if using external say pcmcia / express card wifi it is good to boot with it in if possible. IPW3945 has a flickering light instead of constant on weard.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby mikey0000 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 23:01

i know how t oset up proxy, its easy once you know but a pain to find
do you need authentication??
ether way set it up under etc profile.d
so make 2 files called proxy.sh and proxy.csh you will also need to do this under wget ( for emerge) there is a file called wgetrc inside there you should be able to find the #ed out proxy settings, change them to your liking and remove the hash. you can find the folders under etc

#proxy.sh
export http_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
export https_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
export rsync_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
export no_proxy=.domain.com
export HTTP_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
export HTTPS_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
export RSYNC_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"

#proxy.csh
setenv http_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
setenv https_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
setenv http_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
setenv rsync_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
setenv no_proxy=.domain.com
setenv HTTP_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
setenv HTTP_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
setenv HTTPS_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"
setenv RSYNC_proxy="username:password@proxy:3128"

if you dont need authentication just leave it out so it should work if you do @proxy:3128 or :@proxy:3128
triple Booting Mac-osx 10.6, Sabayon Linux and Windows 7

2.5 athlon dual core
DFI infinity mobo
2 gb of DDR2 800 G skill ram 3.3.3.12
nvidia 9600gt
housed in a thermaltake taser III case with 7 fans - all turned off lol
mikey0000
Growing Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless