Custom build-- unable to boot Sabayon LiveDVD (x86 and x86_6

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

Custom build-- unable to boot Sabayon LiveDVD (x86 and x86_6

Postby Travis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:37

Having problems booting the Sabayon LiveDVD. I tried the x86 and x86_64 version, and I also tried the just-released x86 of the professional version.

It boots into the DVD, gives me the GRUB menu, and no matter where I go from there, I receive an error that it cannot find any bootable media.

If my DVD drive has anything to do with it, how would I fix it? Is there any chance it could also be my mobo causing one of these problems?

I am having a lot of problems altogether with liveDVDs/CDs on this specific computer, so I'm not really sure if my build turned out bad.

I'm a big fan of Sabayon, and really want to get Mandriva off of it. Can anyone provide me where to start to fix this problem? I'm not looking for someone to waste their time baby-stepping me (of course, if you have extra time on your hands, no problem ^_^), but just any information on where to head would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Travis.
Travis
Baby Hen

Re: Custom build-- unable to boot Sabayon LiveDVD (x86 and x86_6

Postby wolfden » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:49

you were able to install it than since you are getting grub? The livecd/dvd doesn't have a grub menu. You get the grub menu after you install it. Usually if the livecd/dvd boots up and you can install, a reboot should be no problem.

Do the disks boot up in another computer just fine?

You are verifying the md5sum and burn?

You are burning slow as possible?

If all the above is true, I would say swap out the DVD drive
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Custom build-- unable to boot Sabayon LiveDVD (x86 and x86_6

Postby Travis » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:52

wolfden wrote:you were able to install it than since you are getting grub? The livecd/dvd doesn't have a grub menu. You get the grub menu after you install it. Usually if the livecd/dvd boots up and you can install, a reboot should be no problem.

Do the disks boot up in another computer just fine?

You are verifying the md5sum and burn?

You are burning slow as possible?

If all the above is true, I would say swap out the DVD drive

I'm sorry, I suspected the DVD boot menu was GRUB.

I boot the DVD to the liveDVD menu, and I ran the debug, the normal, pretty much everything, always ending with it trying to mount /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1, and /dev/sda[1-9]. In the end, it doesn't mount and warns me that it cannot find a boot CD.

I md5sum everything, and I burn around 1.7X.

I'll try using my other drive, thanks for your help.
Travis
Baby Hen

Return to Hardware