Professional edition box set with handbook???

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Professional edition box set with handbook???

Postby monday90 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 14:36

Prior to using Sabayon one of the distros I started on was SuSE. SuSE could have been downloaded for free but was also available to buy as a box set including a couple of manuals. Although the Gentoo handbook is available online many people (myself included) prefer to have something printed to read.
Perhaps make available a simple box set including the Professional edition DVD and a Sabayon orientated handbook covering installation, installing packages, trouble shooting, and perhaps some information with regard to Samba, Apache, Nfs etc...
I'm sure there are many other things that could be included but I thought something like the above would be a start. I appreciate there are manufacturing costs involved but these could be recouped by the sale of the box set.
monday90
Simple Hen

Re: Professional edition box set with handbook???

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 15:12

Nice idea but, with only a couple of devs who have day jobs and work only part time on the distro. they just aren't going to have time to do this. SuSE is a Novell product, and Novell is a multi-million dollar company with the resources to do this kind of thing.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby monday90 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 15:21

Well it was only an idea. Maybe as Sabayon gains in popularity (its doing pretty well already) this might become a viable option in the future.
Out of interest would the devs be open to the idea of commercial investment in such a project? This may be one way to develop this or in fact any other idea that the Sabayon team do not have the resources to pursue.
monday90
Simple Hen

Postby Dark_MaGe » Wed Oct 24, 2007 17:26

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Nice idea but, with only a couple of devs who have day jobs and work only part time on the distro. they just aren't going to have time to do this. SuSE is a Novell product, and Novell is a multi-million dollar company with the resources to do this kind of thing.

can you read my mind? lol :D
Dark_MaGe
Your Farmer

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions