compiz fusion question

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

compiz fusion question

Postby awelch » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:26

Hi, I just installed Sabayon 3.4 x86_64. When I boot up regularly and login compiz fusion doesn't work, but when I boot from the livecd it works at start-up. When I click on Compiz Settings Manager I get the pop-up:
Dbus Error
Dbus Failed to load
Compiz is not running. The dbus plugin cannot be activated unless compiz is running.

so does that just mean I need to turn compiz on? If so whats the command for that? Also when I go to Acceleration Manager and choose AIGLX Desktop Acceleration then click Configure Desktop Acceleration if I open the window back up it's back at the "no desktop acceleration" option. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
awelch
Baby Hen

Re: compiz fusion question

Postby multi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:19

no answers for this one yet.. or am I missing another thread somewhere?
multi
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon Aug 27, 2007 23:50

Mine desktop acceleration always starts on "No Desktop Acceleration", even when it's running AIGLX, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby ARTIMUS_MK9 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:39

In my experience

it sounds like you need to run the acceleration manager found in
MENU-> SETTINGS-> acceleration manager, select aiglx and then wait for about 30 seconds (cause the acceleration manager takes some time to get all of the settings working) then re-start your Xserver
I'd run it as root, also if you have "absolute" monitor positioning enabled in the nvidia Xserver settings for your second monitor, I've found that (at least for me) the desktop acceleration won't work but this is providing you have a second monitor.
finally, if you have an ATI graphics card the desktop acceleration might not work right

I hope this solved your problem, feel free to ask if this doesn't help

quick edit here

also in my experince, the desktop will turn black for like 5 seconds and then go back and thats how you know if desktop acceleration is working, or at least thats what my desktop does with me, and the command for starting compiz is "compiz-start" minus the quotes. also, don't forget to re-start the Xserver :)
ARTIMUS_MK9
Young Hen

Postby havlix » Tue Oct 23, 2007 0:16

I have the very same problem... pls someone help
in accelation manager i can choose aiglx, but when i open it again its still sais no desktop accelation :S
havlix
Baby Hen

Postby ARTIMUS_MK9 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:40

well, thats one of those things where it just says that, kinda like the power switch on a nintendo DS lite (you switch it on from the off position but it just springs back to the off spot but stays on), are your desktop effects working and are you trying to do dual monitors?
ARTIMUS_MK9
Young Hen

Postby linkyone » Thu Nov 01, 2007 14:48

i ran the "compiz-start" command and i get

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x64
AIGXL detected
Using KDE decorator
Starting Compiz with: --replace ccp --sm-disable --indirect-rendering
/usr/bin/compiz-start: line 58: 9603 Segmentation fault nice -15 compiz $Compiz_options ini

Then i get an error dialog saying that compiz cannot be started and asking if i have a compatable video card.

I have an intel 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev. 03). When i run the liveCD i have no problem, after the HD install... nada...
linkyone
Baby Hen

Postby linkyone » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:08

ok, im an idiot... i was booting up and logging in as root. when i log in as "me" it works just fine.. :oops:
linkyone
Baby Hen

Postby ralejandroba » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:40

Do you know how to install a new plugin in compiz-fusion, because i hava 2 in tar archive

Please help!!
ralejandroba
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers