SATA Raid (Intel ICH5) on a Abit IC7MAX3 - advice?

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

SATA Raid (Intel ICH5) on a Abit IC7MAX3 - advice?

Postby Gonadium » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:51

Ok so I am going to install Sabayon soon and I want the install to be smooth and uncomplicated. I am running XP on two WD Raptors set up on a Sata Raid running off a Abit IC7MAX3 (Intel ICH5). When I installed XP, I had to provide a driver (SiI 3114) for the XP installation to recognise this Raid. I know that this is not a hardware, but a BIOS software driven Raid. So....

How do I get Sabayon to recognise this already set up Raid? I want to dual boot for a while with XP. I would rather not destroy the Raid. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Gonadium
Baby Hen

Re: SATA Raid (Intel ICH5) on a Abit IC7MAX3 - advice?

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Oct 19, 2007 21:31

Not sure but think the 3114 and 3132 is both supported by default for some time now.

Might want to from windows alocate free space to the raid for linux same as you would have for 1 hd and then boot into live cd/dvd mode and see if it picks it up.

For some reason 3.4mini + my raid 0 is being read as 2 hd's of 400gb each instead of 1x 745gb drive as it should , will have to check one of my settings. Did not have time to fool around and propperly set it up yet.
Sans Digital MS2T1 Jbod mobile store + adaptec Esata raid5 express pc card for laptop + 2 cheap wd4000kd's in raid 0 .
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Invectus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 14:12

I got a asus p5b deluxe with a ICH8R circuit. I use two 320Gb HDD for raid 0 volume.

I already got partitions made

33GB for XP
33GB for Vista
33GB for Sabayon

I just recently tried to install sabayon on the last empty partition. But i do not think its correct, i choose to manually configure which partitions to install on. But my poor installation ended up here.

It showed:

Device | mount Point / raid volume | Type | Format | Size in mb | start | end
Harddrives freespace 305245
/dev/sdb
Free

I did not dare to move on because the partition manager showed no sign of any raid, it also just shows one disc & the free space is wrong.
So.. it looks like Gonadium and I are in the same chair
The question remains, how do we solve this?
Invectus
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Nov 01, 2007 17:11

Just got back and currently working on a how-to to get the raid installed version of SL onto a exsisting raid.
I posted some Raid links in hardware if it is still there from gentoo as they might have a fix / trim out some useless info in there / the links for a guide.

Not sure if you want to try some of those links but backup any usefull info first just in case ot hang in there. Will see what I can find.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Hardware