[help] ipw3945, eduroam and Sabayon

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

[help] ipw3945, eduroam and Sabayon

Postby prlm » Tue Oct 16, 2007 14:53

Hello!

I recently installed Sabayon, and I really like this distro. But, when it comes to wireless, it starts to give me the headaches... With KNetworkManager, I'm able to connect at home, using WPA passphrase. When I go to the university, I can't connect to the wireless network! I have a .conf file, a script to start the device and the certificate, but neither Firefox, nor even ping work. Iwconfig shows that I associate with the network, and that I have an IP address, but I can't connect to anything...These files worked on my friends' computers, using Ubuntu. So I googled and found some lines to add to /etc/conf.d/net, but it has proven worthless. I don't know what else to do. wpa_supplicant, NetworkManager and Knetworkmanager are up-to-date.I just hope that anyone can help me ;)

Thanks in advance!
prlm
Baby Hen

Re: [help] ipw3945, eduroam and Sabayon

Postby archwndas » Tue Oct 16, 2007 19:01

I also have ipw3945 and it also causes me headaches from time to time. Generally I can connect. When I resume from suspend in RAM though it some times doesn't want to connect unless I login as root in a console and type:

modprobe -r ipw3945
modprobe ipw3945

which unloads and loads the module back again. Generally this fixes my problem. Otherwise it doesn't want to connect when I resume from RAM suspend. When I start the:
/etc/init.d/powersaved start

then when I try to suspend it tells me: cannot unload ipw3945 module, and so I have to manually unload the module after login as root. Then Suspend in RAM works. So something is wrong either with Sabayon or with the KNetworkManager or both. I hope these issues are fixed in the next release of Sabayon.

I do not know if this helps you but generally try to unload and load back the module the way I described. Try also to switch from KNetworkManager offline and then back to online. Of course this is not the solution you would like to have but I do not know anything else.

Good luck,
Archwn.
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Postby hakatu » Tue Oct 16, 2007 22:01

I've managed (somehow) to get eduroam academic wireless network working on my ipw3945 card with wpa_supplicant.

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
Code: Select all
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

eapol_version=1
ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=1

network={
ssid="eduroam"
scan_ssid=1
proto=WPA
pairwise=TKIP
group=TKIP
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
eap=PEAP
identity="USER@ACADEMIC-DOMAIN.COM"
password="USER_SUPER_SECRET_PASSWORD"
phase1="peaplabel=1"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
ca_cert="/directory/to/root_cert_of_radius_server.pem"
}

/etc/conf.d/net
Code: Select all
modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
wpa_supplicant_eth1="-Dwext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf"
wpa_timout_eth1=30
config_eth1=( "dhcp" )

Post your comments if it works or not.

Best regards,
hakatu
hakatu
Baby Hen

Postby archwndas » Wed Oct 17, 2007 18:33

Listen, I had some problems with my home wireless. It didn't want to connect unless I modprobe -r ipw3945 and load it back. What I did is to:

emerge --sync
emerge ipw3945

when the emerge finishes it tells you to add something in your /etc/conf.d/net file otherwise you face a bug namely:
preup() {
if [[ ${IFACE} = "wlan0" ]]; then
sleep 3
fi
return 0
}

Add that in the end of your /etc/conf.d/net file after emerging the ipw3945 driver. Everything now works fine for me. I do not have to try too hard to get connected. It connects right away. Please try that and let me know.

Best Regads,
Archwn.
archwndas
Advanced Hen

Postby prlm » Fri Oct 26, 2007 16:35

Thanks for your reply hakatu, but I tried it and it didn't work...I think I'll just wait for an update to come for KNetworkManager, and then maybe I'll be able to connect. Cheers
prlm
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless