keyboard doesn't work in grub menu[Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

keyboard doesn't work in grub menu[Solved]

Postby koch » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:20

hey, i use the 3.4 mini in a dual-boot-system with xp prof.
yesterday i emerged digikam and had to deal with some blocked packages like udev-114, device-mapper and libgkphoto (is it the exact name?).
i had to update device-mapper and did another thing i can't remember exactly, sorry.
today i startet my machine and wanted to boot into xp...could't use the keyboard in the menu to chose xp. had to wait a few seconds until SL started.

so my question is what to do to solve this problem? update keyboard-driver (never did that, so how to do it?) or is there another solution?

thanks for answers
Last edited by koch on Tue Oct 16, 2007 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
WINDOWS: Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it - stop. format it.
koch
Growing Hen

Re: keyboard doesn't work in grub menu

Postby jaykar » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:26

I am a noob here so I could be entirely wrong, but since your problem is with GRUB, changes to your SL configuration shouldnt directly affect things like your keyboard support in GRUB since the operating system hasn't loaded at this stage.

Personally my first step here would be to download Super GRUB Disc and re-install GRUB from there.

Not wishing to point out the really obvious, but if it is a USB keyboard have you tried plugging it into a different USB socket, I know it shouldn't matter but I've had some odd experiences with USB devices suddenly not working and then being fine when removed and plugged in to another socket.
jaykar
Baby Hen

Re: keyboard doesn't work in grub menu

Postby koch » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:32

yes, it is usb. will try it.

reinstalling grub is the thing i planned for later.
WINDOWS: Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it - stop. format it.
koch
Growing Hen

Re: keyboard doesn't work in grub menu[solved by stupid me]

Postby koch » Tue Oct 16, 2007 22:45

ok, i solved the thing. yesterday i not only emerged some stuff, i also cleaned behind my machine. i removed some cables and...put the keyboard cable from usb (with adapter) into the ps/2-slotwithout adapter) but...i took the wrong one. i took the mouse slot :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

sorry, guys
koch
Growing Hen

Return to Hardware