wireless sometimes works...

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

wireless sometimes works...

Postby random guy » Thu Oct 04, 2007 16:50

(i know i had posted this somewhere else too but i guess i am off topic there since i had no replies)
i got the Gigabyte GN-WP01GS PCI WLAN Card and it sometimes works with sabayon miniedition and sometimes doesnt.

when i start up the system it either does or doesnt see my network. if not i tell network manager to connect manually to my network and give it my 16bit hex encrytion key. now hte weird thing is sometimes it does work and sometimes it doesnt. it has never worked on first try yet but after trying to connect multiple times one after another it usually eventually connects.

i wanted to verify the results so i booted up another live disk (pclinuxos 2007) and it also seemed to have the same problem. i would set up hte network selecting ralink blah blah blah as my divice and it would fail. then i would try again and the second time there would be a new entry ra0 which if i try to connect with that it works. so pclinuxos always works on the second try.

was really hoping that someone knew what what going on or some diagnotic things i could try. i know my report is kinda weird since it should work but this is what is happening.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Re: wireless sometimes works...

Postby random guy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 18:46

some help would be great, this network issue is unbearably annoying.
<:~-- That random guy from nowhere has made another statement and vanished --~:>
random guy
Advanced Hen

Re: wireless sometimes works...

Postby mjf55 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 20:14

I cannot quite picture what is going on so how about some output:
from a working result and non working result.
    ifconfig
    iwconfig
    iwlist scan
Don't use network manager, I have seen too many problems with it.
use net-setup, see how that works.
mjf55
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless