no ip address

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

no ip address

Postby Postie » Mon Oct 08, 2007 21:27

I do not get an ip address from my router. I've installed sabayon and if I remember correctly, the first installation did get an ip address and had a working connection. But after that, the system doesn't get an ip address. It's supposed to get an ip address from the router, that has been configured as a dhcp server.

I tried using the network-admin tool and it shows one wireless adapter and two lan adapters. In the help is says I'm supposed to get a adminstrator login window but it doesn't show up. When I set one of both LAN adapters at DHCP, press close and open network-admin again, they are both deselected. I've also tried it using sudo.

I know its not much information and I can provide more, but I have to switch between Sabayon and windows to post on this forum.

But how do I get my network connection working?
Postie
Baby Hen

Re: no ip address

Postby wolfden » Mon Oct 08, 2007 22:12

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Postie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:04

Tried that, didn't work. I have three nics on my motherboard, 2 wired, 1 wireless. All three are detected and configurable. Tried to give it a static ip address but couldn't even ping the router.

Maybe the only way is too download the manual and try it from there?
Postie
Baby Hen

Postby mjf55 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:10

I have always had a problem when using 2 enet connections ( in my case, 1 wireless and 1 wired) to the same router, same subnet. I always ASSUMED that you cannot to that, as the route would be confused.. To that end, I would shutdown one of the interfaces. Using 2 cards or 3 cards at the same time would require different subnets and then that system can act as a bridge / router. But I am no network expert. Any other views out there?
mjf55
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless